Trace Elliot VA400 Value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Jan 17, 2005.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I have a line on a Trace Elliot VA400, which I believe is the predeccesor of the V6.

400 watts
    (6) KT-88's
    (3) Preamp
    (12) Band EQ

I heard it, it sounds great, looks really cool with the black UV light.

The guy wants $425.00 for the amp.

What do you think of this price?

Thanks for your help.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If it's all in good working order, I'd say it's a good deal!!!

300 watt all tube Trace with a 12 band graphic... I'd buy it for that price :bassist:
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds cool
    collector's item for sure, you probably won't lose a cent on it.
  4. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    That's what I am thinking. The seller says the head has newer Sovtek KT-88s.
  5. if you like the sound you get from it, definitely do it.

i got one too, got it for 650 euros including a 1048H. the thing is build like a tank, it will probably last many more years to come :)

a few caveat's though:

-it does NOT distort. the tube pre is separated from the GP12 pre. you can plug in the green section and use only the GP12 solidstate pre, or plug in the red section and mix both pre stages. the power stage is all tube. you can not EQ the tube pre section. imo the tube pre section gives a bit nasal sound, especially when played solo at low volumes.
    -this is one HEAVY amp. mine weighs 38 kilos.
    -this is NOT a "flat" amp. you wont get a neutral sound, it will always sound like a trace. if that's good for you, thats great.
    good luck trying it out, i hope you will like it!
  6. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Thanks for the information.

As far as distortion goes. I guess that is not a bad thing. If I want to overdriven sound, I can use my Fulltone Bassdrive.

Are you saying if I mix the tube preamp and the power section, I will not be able to use the 12 band EQ? I do like the Trace sound, even though it is a little colored.
  7. no, i am saying you can't EQ the tube pre. the tube pre is either off or on, thats the only control you got :D only the solidstate pre aka GP12 has eq.

you can blend the tube pre with the gp12 pre though.

theres only 1 pot for the tube section though, it controls both gain and master. maybe if you boost the input before you plug it in the amp the pre section will overdrive.
  8. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Awesome deal, even by UK standards. Those amps are the **** - even though it's the same pre as the traditional Trace heads with the clean (allegedly sterile!) sound, the tube power stage is soooo warm it compliments beautifully. Also the trace tube power sections are just like their solid states - loud as hell and always with more grunt than you expect for the rating.
  9. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Great to hear. I am going to pull the trigger on this one.

I will send some pics when I get it set up.