1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 8, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been using an older Trace Elliot AH250 head into an Eden D210XLT for some time now. I'm happy with it for home use and I was happy with it when I was playing with a band. I've recently been looking for my next band and I've met some guys that seem nice and the music seems interesting, so I'm thinking I'm going to try out. This band already has a their own bass rig at their rehearsal space. They've got an Ampeg SVT-4 and Ampeg cabinet (I'm assuming 410). I've never used Ampeg gear, so I had to look that up - but that looks like a heck of an amp head! I'd like to play the SVT, just to check the thing out, but I also don't want to come out and spend a bunch of time playing around with their amp head. I'm wondering if I should skip their amp and drag along my rig when I go to try out? The Trace is very easy to use and I know how to dial in my sounds that I use - The Ampeg head, while nice, would be unfamiliar and it looks to have a few more knobs, a different type of EQ, tubes in the preamp which is foreign to me, and I would expect the whole sound to be at least a little different. Can anybody tell me how easy it is to dial in a nice sound with this type of head? I want to do well when I go out to play with these guys, and I'm going to need all the help I can getÂ… I'm wondering if I should bring my amp just to make sure that I'm not screwing around trying to find a sound on an unfamiliar amp, or even worse - somehow doing damage to somebody else's expensive bass rig. I'm also curious as to which people prefer - Ampeg or Trace Elliot.

2. I would take your gear along just for this one time so you can get down to buisness so to speak, using what you know already

I prefer ampeg, its got the guts and growl that trace doesnt, trace heads are alot cleaner typically

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks mohawk... that's kinda what I was thinking

I want to focus all of my attention on my playing, not worry about the amp or my tone...

Maybe if all goes well, and I start playing with these dudes, I can get to know that SVT!;)

4. I'd suggest bringing the Trace with you; and hook that up to their cab - it should do just fine. It won't be quite your sound, but it'll be a heck of a lot closer!
    You could always visit a music store, see what 'dey's got!

Gluck with the audition!

5. Got a SVT4 myself and the reason I bought it was that it just instantly sounded fabulous in neutral
    with any bass I tried at GC... You should not have any problems there :)

Yet I agree with the others, bring your gear and reduce the number of unknowns.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 4 PRO is a clean and fat tone machine. Advice: don't touch the Ultra Low button. It ups the lows and highs and kills the mids; you don't want that in the band situation. www.ampeg.com and look up the 4 PRO and read the manual, it is not too terribly complicated. Pretty easy to get a good sound out of it. The only confusing part is the possible speaker hook ups you can do with it. Last, don't crank the low end slider at 33hz too much, the amp has a tendency to crank out the lows even with flat settings.

Bring your amp with you just in case.