1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot vs. Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hi!

I'm looking for a second amp (more portable then my usual rig, for rehearsal purposes mainly, I think a 100 watt would be enough, my band being quite quiet).

I checked out new gear and I liked the Hartke A100's punch and clarity. It's probably the most punchy 15 inch speaker I've heard.

But, I try to save money so I've been looking for used gear on CL and found a Trace Elliot Commando 15 (the older, 100 watt, rat fur covered version). I know that TE are usually good amps, but I don't know much about that model. The fact that it has simple controls and an all FET circuity seem nice, but does anyone have any experience with that particular amp? Reviews are not all bad, not all good (hard to really know).

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My advice with Trace Elliott is make sure you can identify with and like the sound. To my ear the TE sound is very distinctive (which of itself is neither a good nor bad thing). Hearing and playing through TE gear in person is essential before making a purchase decision about it.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    +1
    Trace has its very own unique sound.
    I owned the cammando once and i think it sounded great, just wasnt enough power for me.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'll never slam a player and their choice of gear. I happen to be a proud owner of a used Trace GP7 SM 300. I got it in a trade for an old Vantage six string. I've had it for 7 years and it has never let me down. The sound is tight, quick and punchy. Not too warm and round at all. Hartke's are ok and hey if fits your budget. Trace gear however is not cheap.

5. I haven't heard a Commando but I'm lead to believe they are a bit different to the regular Trace sound.

6. Yep the Commando dossn't sound much like one of its big brothers, not a bad sounding little amp though.

7. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I used to gig with one. Different, but still Trace to my ears. The pre-shape sounded a bit different to me than the "trademark" trace sound: Seemed a bit more hi-fi and glassy to me. It was great for slapping. With pre-shape defeated, the tone was more of a "usual" Trace ballsy/a bit hi-fi/British sound. I really liked it.

Not sure if that makes sense.

8. You used to gig one, so it should be loud enough for my not-too-loud band, shouldn't it?

I actually spotted one on CL, but I hesitate on driving out of town to try it out... Really worth it?

9. Should be fine for rehearsing a quiet band.

10. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 should be fine.