Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot wattage ratings..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Panther, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Some years ago, I was told that Trace Elliot wattage ratings were higher than those of say an amp made in north america.

Is there any truth to that?

Is the UK wattage system rated different, or is a watt a watt, regardless of where the watts are from??

Thanks!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    A watt's a watt, no matter where it's from, as it's a calculated, scientific method to find it out. Now, there are ways to fudge the data, and then some say tube watts are louder than SS watts etc. etc., but no matter, a watt's a watt.

Ray

3. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    That's what I suspected! Thanks!

4. Trace Elliot amps were always very loud for their rated watts, where as today many amps rated watts seem to bear little relation to how loud they are.

The same applies to the older Hartke HA heads they are very loud for their ratings

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Trace elliot amps deliver their stated power across the frequency spectrum. Some manufacturers state their wattage, but if you read the fine print it is not the same across the frequency spectrum. One well known American company known for producing basses, guitars amps and PAs is notorious for doing that. As a result your 300 watt amp only reached that maximum wattage at 10% distortion between the frequencies of 5khz-10khz (just an example).

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace Elliot watts are like Pickebass said, clean all the time, across the frequency spectrum watts. A 350 watt TE head can appear louder than a 1000 watt Brand X head all because of how Brand X gets their rating. IME, TE heads will noticeably have more volume than a Brand X head with the "same" wattage rating. Thats why you also hear people say they are "conservatively" rated.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My trace was growly and fuzzy no matter what I did to it. I thought they were supposed to be that way?

Ended up selling it back to the store and getting a solid state crate because I was sick of the growl. If I wanted to sound like lemmy I'd be playing through a marshall.

Maybe mine was just broken.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Weird :meh: TE has a definate sweet tone, not growly. Well, other than the GP12X which has a control to add growl. Which model did you have?

9. i have the solution for this thread:

trace elliot watts just ROCK. ROCK hard!

:cool:

10. couldn't agree more!