Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Staindfan10, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Staindfan10

Staindfan10

Jan 20, 2001
    Are trace elliot amps good?

-Justin

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I've been happy with my TE rig.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    To give another opinion, I have *not* been too happy with my TE/Peavey rig. The head is better than the cab, though, and probably my Peavey cab and Trace head don't really enjoy working together. Also, I got tired of endless EQ tweaking for a sound that cuts and doesn't sound like crap (sometimes it's hard to fill both criterias).

The "Trace Elliot sound" can be really useful and actually sound great sometimes (I recorded my J-bass through my TE head and boy, it growls!), but I have found that most of the times I don't need it. With my other amp, I've got a unit that cuts even without a lot of tweaking, needless to say it sounds great *all* of the time.

5. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Notduane,thanks for the links. I am happy to see that my Trace Elliot 715 SMC combo got some good ratings. It definitely is a war horse. Strong, low end and high end. This bad boy can be punished.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Justin (staindfan)TE are 'good' in that they are well constructed and reliable (in my experience). They are 'good' in the sound department but many dont like the sound. It has a slightly distorted edge to it ok its not fuzz or anything like that but its not superclean. It also has a generic sound and tends to make any bass sound like a Trace Elliot sound if you know what I mean. I like them and two friends have solid state 1x15 combos that are excellent.

NotDuane BTW I have a TE V4 (only 220w 4 KT's) and its excellent, look for a deal on a sh one or the V6 (6 KT's).