Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace-Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ned, Feb 5, 2000.

1. Ned

Ned

Jan 27, 2000
    What does everyone think of Trace-Elliot amps? www.zzounds.com has a 4-12 cab and a V-Type 600 head on sale pretty cheap. Are these good products?

Ned

2. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    yes,
    i wass gonna get one but i am investing my money into my custom effects business

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Trace Elliot were one of the first bass only amp companies they made the acoustic and electric guitar stuff after. They are simular in quality to HArtke SWR etc.

I borrow an 11 yr old combo thats never broken down and it was the then entry level model.They have a sound of their own though so try it if you can.

This is all my opinion. Its now tomorrow in UK so see ya.

------------------
    Chris

4. Ned,
    T/E's are nice amps. 4-12 cab is interesting choice. Looking to compete with a couple of 100 watt Marshalls?!?!?!? Check out the Ampeg SVT III Pro. I chose this over the Trace/Elliot because of sound, ease of use, and cost. Couple this to a Genz Benz 6x10 XB cab, or 4x10 XB, you will be more than satisfied.
    The guitar player in my band insists to have my III PRO & 6x10 XB next to him every gig. He turns it up!!! The drummer tells him to turn it up more!!!! I just set it up!
    Go to the largest music store in your area. Find an easy going sales person, and just take your time. Compare features you want, ease of operation, cost, road-worthiness,etc.
    Happy hunting!!
    Chuck

5. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I play throu a trce 300 watt 2x10 combo at church,now heres my sad story.

At my old church,I used a similar trace amp,the 7 band eq model,and it did everything I wanted it to.I set the graphic so it looked like a sideways "S".The result was very bright,with a little ultra deep boom.It was brighter than I wanted,but thats what the sound people wanted.Oh,I use a '76 jazz bass with 1/4 lb duncans.
    Then I changed churches,joined the orchestra,they promised if I would play in the christmas(98)show,they'ed buy a new amp.I picked out a 300 watt 2x10 Trace,but this one has a compressor.
    Now the problems,I get NO high frequecy out of this thing,they took it back to the store that ordered it(I didnt get to try it before they bought it)the store said "its working fine"I think the tweeter or its protection is out.I dont need much treble for myself,and we do run a line to the board that has,I think,the full sound.at least now it does.which leads to the other problem.
    when we first got the amp,the soundman wouldnt let me use the amp's D.I.He said it was too noisey.so I had to use a direct box.We took the brains out and sent them across country to have it repaired.It came back fixed and works OK now.Apparently,the amp was set up for european (or?)power(50hz)We have 60hz here.I still think theres a problem with that tweeter.
    I'm looking for a new amp for my personal use,and I like the trace tone,but now I a little squeemish about getting one without playing it first.

6. IlLu50rY

IlLu50rY

Jan 15, 2000
    I just upgraded my puny practise amp to a 100w trace combo. it wuz $1200 but one sale for $800 which wansnt bad.
    It sounds pretty good to me out of all the amps i tried out, i personally hate the fender sound. *hides from fender fanatics*
    Yea well i recommand traces they arnt bad ey
    or SWR they sound wicked aswell.

---------------

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Trace Elliot has a new 1000 watt tri-amp head out. They also have a 4 x 10 plus 1 x 15 cabinet to go along with it. I'm sure you could blow away any guitar player (or players) with that setup, but it is quite expensive.
    The V6 head you were talking about sounds great. Everything I have ever heard about it was good news.

8. Ned

Ned

Jan 27, 2000
    thanks for your replies everyone! [​IMG]

Ned

9. I use a TRace Elliott 1x12 combo...as I can carry the thing!

Plus side...portable, very reliable, built like a tank (yes, I have dropped it downstairs...no problems), groovy shade of green. Sound not bad of 130 watts (well, probably only 80 or 90 without an extension speaker).

Down side. The 7 band EQ is not as good as some others. I tend to use my BOSS GEB7 instead. It doesn't have the delicacy and complexity of sound that Fender amps produce, but also doesn't produce the mud that Fender amps produce...and doesn't suffer from late gig meltdown like the BXR amps (where the thing overheats, and seems to lose volume as all the component values slowly change).

Also, the fan is bl**dy loud! Not an amp to record with.

Hey, for a small amp my 712SMC is pretty good....

Andy

10. Charlito

Charlito

May 19, 2000
    I run a Trace-Elliot AH400SMX series through 4*10 and a 1*15. I have nothing but glowing compliments for this, my dream rig. Afterall Doug Wimbish and Tony Levin cannot be wrong can they? (They run the AH600SMX which has an added 200 Watts and a cross-over option).

[​IMG]

11. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    test

12. this is a old thread.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Why revive it then? :confused:

Seems almost obnoxious when you have the megathread, and you don't have any more information to add or have any questions. :rolleyes:

The thread's nearly 5 years old.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just went searching on google for trace elliot info and found this thread in the archive. Then I see it bumped up here. That is WIERD!!!

15. asimha

asimha

Sep 21, 2005
    Could anyone help me in identifying this 3 speaker Trace Elliot guitar cabinet?

Thank you
    Andre

[​IMG]

16. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    I'd say its a 3 speaker guitar cab form the early 90's. Richie Sambora played them on stage so they can't be that bad. sorry i can't help you more.

17. asimha

asimha

Sep 21, 2005
    Thanks mvw356, this cabinet together with a TVT9 160 head belonged to Jacko Jakszyk playing with Level 42 in those days. Just wondering what model the cab was.
    Thanks for your help!
    Andre

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    That cab is the SC312 guitar cab and it is a 16 ohms. Great cabs IMO as my guitarist friend has one and runs it with a Randall 100 watt head and it sounds excellent.

19. asimha

asimha

Sep 21, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the information Kelly!
    Andre

20. ayjayuk

ayjayuk

Jan 2, 2008
    Hi everyone..

I surrently own a Trace Eliiot BLX80 combo, heavy square slotted front design, which i bought way back in 1996 for about £300.

Ive recently seen a secondhand trace elliot 712SMC combo for sale locally, ive even had a play on it and all sounds fine, no crackly nobs, no rasping sounds, nice low and high end sound.

I imagine theres not a huge difference in total output volume between the two with my current trace being an 80watt and the other one a 130w, but can anyone tell me whether its worth the upgrade at all, or whether it would be negligible?

many thanks in advance

andi