Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danqi, May 21, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    i am currently looking for my first amp and i found an interesting offer for a trace elliot amp with 150w that costs about 350$ (750DM). i am not sure if that is too much power but i planned on playing with some friends as soon as i get some skills. i could also get one with 100w for 25$ less. how good is trace elliot in general?

thanks,
    orthanc

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trace Elliot is as good as you want it to be. For years it seemed Trace was the standard of the industry. I personally owned one for a few years and thought it was a lot better than my old Acoustic. Then again, I wasn't necessarily a fan of it either.

For the money, it seems that 150 watts should do you fairly well, depending on the applications you need it for. Have you tried it out? How did it sound? Did you like it? That should be your answer;)

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Say what you want about SS Trace Elliots, but they're as well built as anything in their price league, and they growl. :D
    I owned an AH300SM head (the older model without compressor) for some time and I never blamed the amp for doing anything bad with my sound (I blamed everything on the cab ;)). IME, Trace Elliots have a rather distinct character - they sound like Trace Elliots. :) More mids than thump (but there's always EQ available to compensate if you want to).

150W is not "too much power". You can't have too much, only too little. :)
    Get the price down to $300 (or below) and you have a good deal.

BTW, is it a head or a combo you're looking at?

4. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    i am looking for a combo. the problem is that i saw the offer in the catalog of a mail-order shop so unfortunately i can't test it.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Trace make different ranges so please can you tell us what model it is?

6. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    sorry.
    the 100w model is a commando 12+ and the 150w model a commando 15.

7. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    I currently use a Trace AH350 head and I think it sounds great. It is, however, a pre-Gibson model and from what I've heard the quality has suffered a bit since the acquisition. They do have their own sound, though, I think it's great but understand where some might not like it.

8. I played a commando15 several times. IT SUCKS. There is no possible comparison with the higher end T.E. gear. Avoid this combo at all cost. It sounds bad, soft, it's extremely bulky and heavy, there are virtually NO possibilities for expansion or tone shaping...

The 150watts are just a laugh compared to the volume that my 150w Ampeg combo puts out. This thing is ~weak~.

And it's unreliable, it broke down within a year. I guess it's the black horse of the Elliot family.

These are just my personal, subjective findings :)

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The Commando is the cheaper range and whilst not knowing German prices assuming DM is marks I would be careful before buying that combo. This is perhaps more gently put than Robin but I still agree with him.

Combos I would look at are the upper Trace ones, the Ampeg B100r and SWR workingmans series.

I would look at loads of amps at different shops then ring around for a deal.

Happy hunting

10. there are better amps out there in the DM750 range. Buy second hand - always more bang for the buck/deutschmark.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh, so we're talking TE combos now? Those are a no-no, if you ask me.

I was referring to a head in my earlier post - I've like the heads I've played, but the combos I've came in contact with have all sounded absolutely horrible. I wouldn't buy that for 750DM, it might be good price, but not a good value since it sucks!

Just my opinion.

12. IMHO all lower end combos aren't really great.

(price < $500)

13. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Yeah,the Commando's are pretty gutless tone-wise.power-wise too.Especially compared to the real trace's.If you get one,comando that is,you'll be looking for another amp before long.It may be ok for a bedroom practice amp,but if you can only afford one amp look around for something used with more power.

14. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    thanx to all of you. i am just gonna keep looking for another combo but no more low-priced trace ones.

15. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey, what about the Trace 715? is it crap too?
    it is a real Trace (unlike the Commando and Boxer ones).

check out Art-of-sound's catalogue, they are in Koln and sell this one for 1349DM where the Commando15 goes for 899DM.

also look at Musik Produktive, they seem to be a bit cheaper on amps.

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Mmm... yep. Well, maybe not total crap, but there are heaps of other combos I'd buy before that one. I thought it sounded "boxy" more than anything, not my kind of tone at all.

17. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    well, "boxiness" is the worst thing that can happen to your tone, I played through a boxy sounding amp and I missed all the solidness of the bass which is why I picked the instrument in the first place.
    of course it has to do with room acoustics too.

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The 'real' Trace stuff IMHO is well built and reliable. However the sound is generic so please try one first. A mate has had a 1x15 TE combo since 1989 and its still going. Another has the 300w 1x15 and its excellent if you like the TE thing. Dont take our word on sound try it.

19. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Trace Elliot amps (I mean the real TE stuff, not the Boxers and Commandos) have never let me down. It may not have too many fans in the USA. But in UK and many parts of Asia, it is still a popular choice. They are hardy, well built, and in my opinion, cuts thru' the mix as well as anything else.