Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 2, 2001.

1. What do you guys think of Trace Elliot amps. I just recently heard of them. What do you think of their amp heads and cabs?

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have never used them myself. I believe that Geddy Lee of Rush uses them.

3. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I've had a GP7SM 300W head for 6 years now and it has kicked ass. I feel it's the quintessential ROCK sound. If I had to bleed through two distorted guitars and a double bass drum, TE is what I'd use.
    I've never used their cabs. All I know id that they are expensive. If you are gonna spend that money go with SWR, BagEnd, Epiphany, etc...

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Tony Levin uses and endorses TE amps. So do Doug Wimbish, Stuart Zender (Jamiroquai), Oasis, Mark King (before he switched to Ashdown), and lots of British bass players.

5. What cab do you use with your TE head? Which cabs, if not the TE cab would you say is the best to use with the TE heads?

Also, what do you guys think of Mesa Boogie heads and cabs? Are they as good as people claim them to be? I heard someone tell me once that they break down easy, anyone know if that's true? Any opinions on these would also be appreciated along with those opinions on TE as well. Thanks.

6. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    It's good stuff.......I'm having to get more power....so I'm getting rid of the cab........I got an 810.I'm selling it for $500.....if anyone wants it.....e-mail me!! I am keeping the head.....I love the pre-amp!!

Trace is really good stuff......it's just older. It's just as good or better than Eden!!
    As a matter-of-fact I have a friend with an eden WT-800 and D410XLT who perfers my Trace!

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    In my opinion Trace elliot stuff is the dogs thingies!!!! I've had my AH250 head for about 8 years now (I bought it second hand then), it's the mark 5 head with the GP11 equalizer and the UV luminescent front panel - lovely!!! I also have the 4 x 10" cab (the 1048) and a newer 1 x 15" cab (the 1518).

When I need more power (250 watts has ben enough so far) I'll get another Trace head with more power - the 1000 watt head with BFC cabinet does appeal, but 'til I get a pile of roadies I don't think I'll bother!!!!

I also seem to remember Duff McKagan from Guns 'n' Roses used Trace Elliot stuff - use a Fender Precision with the Trace stuff and you can get all of the G 'n' R sounds!