Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are these respectable, quality amps? I am looking into them, but the bright neon green makes me kinda leery. Are they any good? On whole, not particular model (I'm still looking at those)

------------------
    "Did you say I'm JUST the bassist? Them's fightin' words."

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Check my profile to see what Trace equipment I use. I like the equipment I have very much, even though the first one broke straight out of the box. Be weary of their customer service though. I wrote them twice in 4 weeks and have still not gotten a response. Bye the way, Trace Elliot rates their equipment incredibly conservitivly.

3. Trace were bought by Gibson a couple of years ago. I don't know about current production standards. Before that they were extremely well designed and built amplifiers that would stand being dropped out of a 2nd floor window. I used to gig with a SMC712, but dumped it in favour of an Ampeg because, quite honestly, the Trace sound is too modern for me.

Andy

4. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Trace have been through some major changes. Their old stuff was high quality, however maybe for the last 5 years their amps havn't kept up with everyone else, performance and build quality. However i was recently looking for an amp, and i tried the "new"trace range.I was greatly impressed. The main new feature to the amp is a compressor which can be much more easily controlled, ie; more knobs, great for getting that perfect slap sound.Build quality looked good to.
    I bought an Eden in the end, but I'd rate trace better than Hartke, Peavey, Ashdown, SWR,Carvin. Although they are expensive!

5. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I'm upgrading from a Trace Elliot AH350SMX to an SWR amp, so I rate SWR over Trace. It's just my opinion though, you should be sure to check the amp you are going to buy. Check for noise both at bedroom volume and at gig volume. Also check the DI outputs if you plan on using them.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think T/E is good sounding gear and should be considered good quality. As for the green color well....its ugly but buy your gear with your ears not your eyes.When I last made a major amp purchase ( several months ago)the order of preference, after much looking and A/Bing was roughly this
    (1) Eden - which I bought
    (2) Ashdown
    (3) SWR
    (4) Trace and Ampeg tied
    (5) G/K
    (6) Hartke

I could have easily bought any of these except the Hartke and been happy.

7. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I've been playing through a Trace Elliot GP7SM for years now. Just a few weeks ago my power amp module fried due to a bad ground. I had the module replaced with a brand new 300W 8ohm unit (same as in the AH300). If you buy a Trace, make sure it's not a GP7 or GP12 because apparently this is a very common problem. The new ones are WAY better though.
    Should you buy one? YES. The only thing I could see trading up too would be an SVT poweramp with an SWR preamp. Your trace will be half the price.

8. number28

number28

May 4, 2000
    I have a trace GP7SM and it's great. No problems. I left it on 8 gain, HOT AS HELL ROOM, NO AC, 85 degree day, 10 volume, all day and i was sure it was going to fry when I came home 14 hours later to find I had left it on... no such thing. Great amp, built like a tank. People complain about tone and such, but I really feel if you just get the hang of the eq and switches, it's got a nice tone. Just wish my bass didn't suck. But anything I've plugged into it has sounded good including various types of fenders. If you're unhappy with the tone, just buy a boss eq and mess with that. Nice amp I think, high quality, and got comments on how nice looking it is. plus if you don't like it, drill a hole and play yourself a few rounds with your putter.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by number28:
    People complain about tone and such, but I really feel if you just get the hang of the eq and switches, it's got a nice tone. If you're unhappy with the tone, just buy a boss eq and mess with that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This doesn't sound like a good idea - why not just buy something else in the first place? I think that TE gear is definitely "coloured" towards the "Rock" end of the spectrum and won't suit everyone. I have also had problems with very noisy fans on TE gear which have been very irritating, whereas the fan on my Eden Traveler has only come on once in 2 years!

10. number28

number28

May 4, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Lindfield:
    This doesn't sound like a good idea - why not just buy something else in the first place? I think that TE gear is definitely "coloured" towards the "Rock" end of the spectrum and won't suit everyone. I have also had problems with very noisy fans on TE gear which have been very irritating, whereas the fan on my Eden Traveler has only come on once in 2 years!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't have that fan problem on mine. I can't hear a thing. My bass was way noisy too on other rigs, but dead quiet cept close to a computer monitor on this one. I'm quite impressed. I play rock and variations of the genre, so I guess I couldn't say about a lot of the other stuff. Sounds ok to me, but my ears aren't as fine tuned like some other people on this board.

I still think the boss eq idea ain't so bad.
    I see your point Bruce, but if a lot of you are like me, you swap gear a good amount over the years or even from gig to gig depending on what you have/band mates/place, etc... so this is something that's nice to carry over to other amps and such. Plus, don't we all like to step on pedals and pretend we're cool. I know I do [​IMG]

11. My experience is similar to Bruce's about the fan sound. But it is not noticeable live, of course!

TE are rock oriented, and very modern rock as well. I used mine for 15 months before selling it. Believe me, I knew that amp inside out. I had gigged with it at least 100 times. It 'did', but that was all. The sound I wanted was not in it, and no amount of Boss EQs, overdrives, compressors and what have you could change that.

Andy

12. Does anyone else have any contributions to add to
    this subject before I go get a AH350SMX used with
    speaker (1048 no horn) for $1300.00

I want to make sure it's worth buying.

13. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Trace is good stuff. I've had an AH350 for like a year and a half. It's the Series 6 line (early nineties) and it's been great for me. Definitely rock solid with a great punchy, warm (IMO) tone that really sounds great. Never had a problems with it, and it has loads of head-room. I'm going to buy another one tonight -- albeit a tube Trace, though.
    Good stuff, go for it.

14. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Bassmangreg,
    I may have a Trace Elliot that you'd be happier with than the 350 and for a much better price.

If you're interested, drop me a note at reb46@rcn.com

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi Brendan,
    I've played Trace stuff for 7 years:
    mainly a RAH300SMX head +2x10/1x15 cabs.
    I've always been happy with this stuff.
    In my opinion the heads are great:very powerfull on stage; the graphic equalizer is very versatile;not the same for the cabs:they are too midranged and thick,so that getting a warm and round sound is really impossible.My suggestion would be to buy a 12 band head with another brand of cabs.....one of the greatest sounding amps I ever tryed,was a RAH500SMX+Goliath cabinets:it had EVERITHING!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HA! This thread is like three million years old! Man...I remember the days...psh...oh well...at least some one might be getting some use outta this...

Trace Elliot? What was I thinking all that year ago? Eden Baby, Eden!

17. You think so? I actually like the green and I was a bit annoyed that the Commando range are yellow instead!

18. Turns out the Commando's are green too :) The picture on the site was just discoloured slightly...