Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Mar 14, 2002.

1. I would like to know some opinions on the following amp combo - Trace Elliot 300w Combo 7215.

Does anyone have one? What are they like?
  2. I'm a fan of Trace Elliot stuff, but I've never owned a combo!! It's all heads and cabs I've went for!! I've used a 4 x 10 combo and found it to be good with a nice sound (I like the sound, but I know it's not to everyone's liking!)

I imagine that the 15" speaker will be nice and full sounding - when I added a 15" cab to my rig it added a lot of fullness and bottom end to my sound! I believe that the combos also have a speaker out, so you can add a 2 x 10 or a 4 x 10 later if you want.

I've always found Trace stuff to be reliable and I think the stuff is built so as to be just about bullet proof!
  3. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I think the older trace stuff is built great, but i heard something about them moving production to the states, Gibson buying them maybe, and with everything Gibson have bought the build quality has declined.

Maybe i'm wrong, or maybe this has already happened, i dunno, I'm sure someone here knows more an me. Worth considering though

4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I agree with Johnny on the reliability although you will always get a bad example in any product line.

I have an old TE V4 head its excellent (oops now I have done it)

A mate had an 89 1x15 combo from new and although it got noisy I cannot remember it going wrong. He upgraded last year to a TE 300w 4x10 combo so I think he is a fan.

Another mate has the combo you mentioned and I have used it. Directly compared to a 10 equipped combo it has more bottom and less top so no suprises so if you like the sound go for it.

And thats the problem. I have two issues with a lot of TE stuff. THe first is that it has a generic sound that gives a lower mid boosted saturated edge to the sound of any bass put through it. Some like it some dont. THe second is that there are so many switches knobs and buttons thats its difficult to set up a sound. Fans will tell you that its flexible and they have a point.

Try it first. If you like it, you should have many years of trouble free enjoyment but dont sue me if it breaks down. :)
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Low B your post was not there when I posted so I am not ignoring you. Hello from MK.
  6. CS... you're right. There IS a certain Trace tone. I love it. You also have my envy... the V4 is my ultimate head. Some day I'll own a V4, a Pedulla, and a Ferrari. :p
  7. But dude - how you gonna get the Pedulla and the V4 to gigs??? Not in the Ferrari I think!
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - I hate the sound - my definition of "boxy" !! :mad:

I think it is a classic "rock" sound, but not really suitable for anything else.
  9. Hey Bruce - I thought you would have shown up sooner, I know you ain't keen on Trace stuff, it's good that Scrojack gets good and bad opinions, so he can go make his mind up!!!:)
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I picked mine up cheap privately in Watford. Before you think I am gloating I would love an Ampeg head but they are extremely expensive here in UK.:( Anyway a V4 should be cheaper than the others so save for it first. :)
  11. Hey thanx everyone - thats some meat to chew on. Im thinking of buying it 2nd hand or going for a lil SWR LA-15. I guess the Trace will have more oomph tho, eh?