Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blitzu, Aug 21, 2000.

1. blitzu

blitzu

Aug 19, 2000
    Hi Guys & Girls

I am looking at purchasing a Trace Elliot 300watt 2X10 and horn Combo unit . Are they any good ??? possiably looking to expand later with a 1 x 15 cab later

Cheers

BlitzU

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I have heard the quality has gone down hill since Gibson bought them out.

If you want solid state go with SWR. The new Fender bassman amps are good if you want a combo amp..

3. Are you looking to buy new or used? I own a 1215SMX combo which has the hybrid pre-amp (blendable tube/solid state), a 12 band eq, 300 watts into 4 ohms and a 15" speaker. I pair it up with a Trace 2X10" cab and it sounds great. Plenty of headroom. I had NO problem keeping up with 2 100w guitar amps and a loud drummer. In fact I don't think I ever had the volume over 2 without my ex-bandmates asking me to turn it down! The reason I ask if you are looking at new or used is that I also have heard of quality problems since Gibson bought Trace. Luckily (for me) all my stuff is pre-Gibson. I'm pretty sure that the Gibson stuff has the carpet-type covering whereas my pre-Gibson gear is covered by a vinyl cover (is it Tolex?). The Trace sound isn't for everyone so I'd also suggest trying out some of the new SWR or Eden combos as well.

ZB

4. blitzu

blitzu

Aug 19, 2000
    Thanx for the replys Guys , I have used a trace Elliot 100watt single 15 i quite liked the sound , I'll try some of the others before i make a decision .. Thanks again.

Blitz