Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lymie, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    I recently bought a 98 trace elliot ah 350 smx top with a 1084 H cabinet, for 900 Euro. Any opinions about trace amps and cabinets?

2. Pre-Gibson Trace very good, post-Gibson Trace, mediocre. I've directly A/B'ed my 10 y.o. Trace head against new ones, and it's got more power and better tone, so much so that I run the e.q dead flat! Yep, it's not only Edens that ya can do that with!

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds like a good enough deal!

I am on my second Trace rig. I now have the AH500 head and the 1048H and 1518 cabinets. It's plenty powerful for my needs.

I used ot have the AH250 head and the 1048 cab. It was fine - but I wanted something newer. I bought the 1518 cab when I had the old rig and it added some nice bottom end.

Now I have the new rig - it sounds great flat with the Spectors I have. And you can tweak it for a few different but equally nice sounds.

As far as opinions go - I love 'em. However as Gibson has not shut down the UK manufacturing and is apparently shipping it to the US, I'll wait and see about their future offerings!!! If I was to go any other way just now it would be Ashdown (whose MD I believe is one of the Trace Elliot designers!)

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    price is ok. trace is very good combination with warwicks basses (i read in your profile), but doesn t work well with my stingray .it is just my opinion.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hate the sound - just sounds very "rock" to me, no matter what the controls are set to! :(

TE stuff is everywhere here in the UK and quite cheap used, so a lot of rehearsal spaces have them and every one I've heard has just sounded terrible to my ears - but it's personal preference.