Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen S, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    What does everyone think of the Trace Elliot GP7 sm bass pre amp? I just got one for my birthday and I would like to hear what everyone thinks about them.
  2. I have a friend with a GP7SM-150 head. It's downright monstrous.

Just set that puppy flat. It'll cut through anything.
  3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Mine has 7 band EQ it is 300 watts peak power. I have a question. There is a sort of plug that says "balanced D.I. output" it has Microphone type plug. what is this used for?

EDIT: When these amps first came out how much were they?
  4. The DI output XLR socket is designed to take a female XLR plug to go into an XLR input on a mixing board (usually via a snake), for live usage. IME doing sound, a feed from a passive bass off of an amp's DI output is much better than from a passive DI box.

And, to answer your second question, they were damned expensive when they first came out, because Trace's US distributor insisted on charging full list price. :rolleyes:
  5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Dirty rotten greedy smug bastards (no offense). In dollars how much would you say they were? To me 100 bucks is expensive.

And thanks for answering my other questions.
  6. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that your amp probably sold for $1500 new.
  7. Hey Bass Kid!

You got the 7-band version of my amp! Have you had a chance to try it through a whacking great cab yet? I love my Trace, even if it does shake things down off shelves!

I dropped mine on concrete the other day (ARG!) but when iplugged it in later, it worked perfectly. Long live British Engineering! (Well, not that long obviously - bleedin' Gibson!)
  8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have only been able to play through a Fender 1x15 and a set of Shure vocal master cabs. They aren't high ends cabs but I love the sound I get from my setup. It is better then my Aria 15 watt and my karaoke machine. Now all I need is that 5 string Yamaha I have been saving up for. I am accepting donations in the form of; cash, check, full frontal nudity (females only).
  9. i've got a 250w 12 band, but I just run it dead flat, no need for any eq.
  10. I'm on my second Trace rig - I love 'em. Although since the Gibson shut down, I've been looking at Ashdown stuff with a fair degree of GAS!!!

I generally run mine flat - love the sound. I can tweak it if I want, but I find flat through the 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 Trace cabs does the job!
  11. zoran

May 10, 2002
    GP 7 is good, but personally it s not for me. I have played through it almost 5 years, and found that it has good midrange and highs, but muddy low end. The compressor in newest model added some definition.
  12. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    I have the Trace Elliot GP7 7210 combo. its 2x10 speakers (duh!) 300 watts, so is basically the same as yours but in a combo. i got it 2nd hand, but it is in almost perfect condition...... for £299!!!! ( i dunno how much UK currency means to you guys, but i still aint got my head around US dollars! lol)
    But anyways, I love it to bits. Anyone got any cool EQ setups? I have my curve with the bass and treble just past the centre point and the midrange almost cut. This sounds OK with the pre-shape in, but I have noticed the highs dont really cut it much, when Im playing live, so any cool setup suggestions will be great! thanks!!!
  13. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I set me EQ like this ^^. I'm stilll figuring out what each one does but right now I have a pretty good idea.
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the 12 -band AH200 (an old one I got used on eBay) and it is loud as HELL!!!! Blows the doors off of my Carvin R600 and with Great sound to boot!

I get to try her out at a gig on Oct 14th through my SWR 8x8 & I can't wait.

TEs are an acquired taste, but I'd say that I have acquired it.