Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickg, Nov 24, 2000.

1. rickg

Nov 24, 2000
    I have a chance to buy a Trace Eliot SMC7215 300w 1x15 combo. It's been discontinued so it's on offer for just over £400 - that's about $560. Is that a good deal or can I do better for the cash?
  2. Rickg,
    Welcome to Talkbass.
    Sounds like a good deal if it’s brand new. The last price I saw on the 7215 was £693 at the London Bass Centre.
    I had a Trace 1x15 combo year’s ago and it was pretty good, but I didn’t find it powerful enough for gigging. Times have changed however and it would be unfair to comment on the 7215 as I have never tried one.

I would have thought that the only better 300w combo you could find would be an Ashdown or Eden, but then they would be much more money.

Where are you from in the UK?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Depends what you want it for - I have tried and owned a few TE combos but they do sound very "boxy" to me and have a coloured sound that might be suited to "rock", but to my ears aren't much use for anything else.

But the only thing to do is listen to it with the sort of bass you normally use and see if you like the sound. I think particularly with these it a very subjective thing - I hate the sound now, but some people love it. I always found I was struggling to get the eq to chage the sound to something like I wanted and could never get a clean sound.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Welcome to the board and all that stuff

A friend of mine picked up one second hand in a local shop for 300 Quid and I thought that was good. Ive seen the 7210 for 445 sh so I think your quoted price is good IF

You like it and strange as it seems I agree with Bruce. I like em but I play rock and funk sort of so if you are a jazzman it might not be smooth enough. Please all jazz players dont flame me I know what I mean, and its not an insult.

Trace Elliots seem to have a generic sound like it or hate
  5. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I have played Trace stuff for 7 years:I had a RAH 300 SMX with a 2x10 and a 1x15.I find that Trace amps are versatile because you can get very different sounds thanks to the graphic equalizer(for example I can't change so many sounds with SWR now),and above all you will always hear your bass on stage with Trace!Their sound is very tight:if you play Rock they are Ok,no doubt.Otherwise,if you look for a smoother,cleaner and warmer sounding amp,may be you'll find that Trace has too much mids and that the basses are not round enough.It's a subjective problem,as always...
    I play SWR now,because that is what I NEED NOW,but if I should raccomend something in general to another bassist,I would say EDEN
  6. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    I think you're referring to the one on sale from "The Flying Pig Instrument Supply co" (honestly thats the name!) I got exactly the same model from them at around the preice you mention. My opinion:

SOUND: With no EQ, preshape or compression it sounds very mid-rangy with my bass with the bass set up with an equal split between bridge and neck pickups (sorry if I'f consfusing the matter!).

With the preshape in, the amp is much more punchy, with a *descent* amount of midrange (this may vary depending on u'r personal taste).

The EQ is pretty much what you'd expect - personally I think it would benefit from having an extra frequency band at the top end at say 7-9Khz.

The on board compressor is quite good and fairly flexible when you consider the price you pay, although it does have a tendancy to distort when cranked up to near max. compression using my bass, but I do use an active bass which probably dosen't help - that said you would expect it to be designed to handle active basses (being a new amp & all).

PRICE to QUALITY: Best your gonna find

PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD: When we went into the studio the other week the amp was coming through on the mix distorted. Posted a question about this on here and people suggested it was down to the sound engineer and not the amp so I will see how it fairs up on a gig.

OVERALL: considering price, alternatives for the price, quality of sound, flexibility (it has an extention speaker output, DI, and line out), features (compressor e.t.c) I give it an almighty:

8½ out of 10

hope this essay helps your choice dood!