Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliots tone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 16, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what kind of tone do Traces have?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    can anyone help me out here? I'm interested in getting a Trace...and I'm wondering what kind of tone they have/or what they are closest to

3. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I've used Trace heads for years. Trace heads definately have a "Trace" sound. I love the presets, especially the original preset position (the SMX heads had 2 presets, while I believe the other versions have one). I have always favored the SMX preamp with the dual compressor.

Getting back to the "sound" - I would call it warm or tube-like with slightly scooped mids. Great amp for slapping with the dual compressor!

As I remember, these amps were ungodly expensive purchased new! There's some great deals on NOS and used Trace stuff now. It doesn't look like Giblson is planning to continue the bass amp line, just the acoustic guitar amp line.

Regarding reliability, while I've read some negative threads on this subject, but I've never had an problem with any of the Trace stuff I've owned (and that includes 5 amps!).

Nice variety of tone with the 12-band EQ. Very loud for the wattage ratings!

Listen to people like Tony Levin, who have used Trace stuff for years.

Hope this helped.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm talking about Trace tube amps.....the V6 how is the tone

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I've been playing for 22 years and tried just about every amp under the sun (including Sunn). My Trace V6 is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. My primary concern is with boomy lows and strong low mids. I play very old school bass- hollowbody, heavy flatwounds, pick- and I am very turned off by full frequency bass tones with tons of high end. I absolutely adore the low end on my V6. There is a tremendous amount of fundamental tone and it's not muddy. It's definitely cleaner than an SVT (KT88 tubes are supposedly known for that) and it has very much revitalized my playing. I highly recommend these amps if you can find one.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks! I just bought a Trace Hexa Valve 400watt tube head!! It should be here by the end of next week