Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spekman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. spekman

Aug 5, 2004

does anyone have some useful information, reviews or experiences about this amp (couldn't find a lot on the internet...) :help:

thnx for helping me out

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The GP12SMX is actually just a preamp. My RAH350SMX has this preamp. I love this preamp and I think it was the best that Trace offered other than the V-type.

OK, here are some features:

12ax7 tube
    Gain input level LEDs for "increase", "OK", and "overload"
    Solid state/tube blend control
    Active/passive input switch
    12 band EQ thats footswitchable
    EQ level control
    Preshape function that is footswitchable
    Low and high freq. compression with balance control
    2 effects loops with level control on Loop2
    Tuner out
    XLR mono and XLR stereo out (for use with stereo effects)
    Left and Right 1/4 line outs
    1/4 and Speakon speaker outs

There is more but thats all I can think of at the moment. If you want, I can e-mail you a PDF manual on the SMX preamp and whatever else I have on it..
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The GP12SMX is a good preamp. Like Kelly said, it's the pre for all of Trace's high end amps of that particular era. Those amps and preamps are still sought after and go pretty quickly when they show up on ebay. They're one of the more versatile preamps out there but they have a very distinct tone to them which is tough (IMO) to dial out.

The SMX compressor circuit is my favorite non-studio compressor.

The GP12SMX suffers from low output voltage, which isn't a problem if you're using Trace gear but can be a pain if you're running it into a PA amp. This can be dealt with pretty easily but it's worth mentioning.