Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRace Elliott V6 - suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, May 13, 2003.

1. Hi there!
    I have a chance to record with a Trace-Elliott V6, and would like to hear some settings recommondations. I'm playing a Stingray5 and have SWR Goliath III cab. Any tricks in the business, or is this amp just plain foreward?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just keep in mind that the mid is cut only and you´ll be fine. Those are great sounding amps.

4. Thanks guys! That was a very informative thread you linked to, CS. I think it's a V4, since theres only 4 tubes in the back. Sounds like I'm going to like this head. Shame the owner won't let it go, though he never plays anymore.
    I'm going to need som distorted bass for the recording, could that be done with the V4. How? - Just crank up the preamp, or... is this head better for some sweet overdrive instead of brutal distortion (think Audioslave)?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Not sure what you mean. RE Audioslave like a stone the bass is overdiven but the lack of highs mutes it. I can get my Stingray 5 to crunch more than that with the eq flat but it wont go much further, you will probably have to add an overdrive pedal.

6. Yep... Jock is right. Like the Showman and Alembic preamp, your V6 is flat at 2-10-2 with the switches off. If you think of each dial's range as +10 (for full on) or -10 (for completely off) that would be Bass @ +2, Mid @ +10 and Treble @ +2 for a totally flat setting. Once you've got a handle on this, setting the tone the way you want should be easy enough.

Obviously you'll want the DI switch set to post-EQ or your V6 tone setting won't make a difference. Most soundmen will want a DI signal that is pre-EQ however, which leads to the question: are you miking the rig?

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That was going to be my question/ recommendation: mic that puppy up. I love recording with my V6. It's a great sounding DI and I blend that in with a mic.

8. OK, I have a good selection of distortion pedals, so I might use the Trace for an overdrive sound. I'm gonna mic up my cab (goliath) and take a DI, so there'll be lot's of possibilities. I'm really looking foreward to compare the Trace to my SWR bass750.

Thanks again.

9. I've got a V6 and have used it extensively for recording, both off the DI and miking the cab. It sounds REALLY good for a nice grind just by cranking the preamp. I play it on an Acme 4x10 and got a great snarling tone by cranking the mids on one live recording. (My SVT drowned out the rest of the band and I had to use something less loud.) I've never found it to be lacking in the midrange. It's very versatile and will do a laid-back R'n'B type sound as easily as it does a snarling punk grind even without pedals.

Also in a V6, you only see 4 output tubes through the back panel because they are laid out in an "L" shape like this:

o
    o
    oooo

and there are two more KT88's that are hidden behind them.

BTW, that "L" shape is reversed with the rear tubes being on the right, not the left. I can't get the post to reflect that. It automatically left aligns them.

10. Thanks Psycho :)
    Maybe it is a V6 after all. I can only see four VERY big tubes (didn't realize powertubes were that big) but maybe there's antother two behind them as you said. I'm gonna find out friday when I get back to the studio.
    I'll post my thoughts on it, once I'm done (monday)