Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace GP12 SMX EQ help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToddZilla, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Hi all, first post here on TB, wonder how I got along without this place for so long....

Anyways, on to my question. As the title says I'm having issues with my GP12, seems like either my lows are pushing to hard (distorting..a bit) or mids are "honking" I've tried Trace's recommended settings and are not super fond of them.

So what freq's should I boost/cut to eliminate these issues, and still maintain the low end, and cut through 2 gp's?

available freq's+boost/cut for reference:
    boost/cut = +/- 15 dB

freqs: 30 40 60 100 180 340 660 1.3k 2.6k 5k 10k 15k

Thanks for any insight

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    It shouldn't be doing that... try changing the valve (tube) for a different brand (JJ or similar).

3. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    woohoo an excuse to crack it open :hyper:

out of curiosity, what affect would changing the value of the tube have?

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The tube could have gone "microphonic" causing distortion.
    also, some brands of tube have better low end response than others.
    JJ's are pretty good as would something "vintage" like a mullard or telefunken.
    Incidentally, 12au7's work well in the Trace pre amps.
    They have less gain but seem a little better on lows and midrange.

5. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks Paul.... just got done busting it open, a joy since the previous owner had stripped out most of the small screws :spit: yay for drills I guess.

The tube "looks" to be okay...nice and clear, seated properly and all. Think I should swap it just to find out? I'm heading to the store to check out a used SWR 410 today, so I can get one while I'm there. Is there a particular brand I'm hunting? Or is it more type based?

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yeah, change it, tubes can "look good" but still be faulty! :bassist:
    Look for a Mesa or Maybe Sovtek or something.
    The tube itself is a "12ax7" or you might want to try a lower gain "12au7".

7. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    much thanks Paul!!!!!!

unfortunately local store had no 12au7s, but a GT ax7 made all the difference in the world. Nice lows, punchy mids.....and soon to be angry neighbors! :bassist:

Thanks again man, I'll have to try the au7s sometime and see if I like a mellower sound, but you answered my prayers.