Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Head, Marshall Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hayznut, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Hey all, my Carlsbro 150 watt combo blew the other day and i was rushed into buying a head and cab due to upcoming gigs. Anyways i bought a second hand Trace Elliot AH250 and a second hand Marshall 4x10 400w cab and was wondering whether this was a good deal for 375 english pounds and if anyone has any experience with these, as i won't actually be able to play it properly til the gig in a weeks time. Thanks

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can tell you that the Trace head will give you decent volume and the classic Trace tone. They are built like tanks are reliable gig amps. Which model is it exactly? SMX, Series 6, SM, early or late X series?

On the Marshall I can't help you. I have never played through a Marshall bass cab. I would imagine that it should sound decent and combined with the Trace head should give you way more volume than your previous combo.

On if it was a good deal... considering current exchange rates I think it would be about right. Not a great deal but you didn't get taken either. That is ofcourse me making the assumption that the cab is a decent quality and would fetch about $300 US.

3. dont take into consideration exchange rates, they mean nothing to the musical instrument world

what costs say $500 in the US can cost £750 over here, yeah, it sucks!

Thats a good deal definatly!

4. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Im not sure what model it is, it just says AH250 and GP11 on it, it has ultra-violet light, is 250 watts and is 4 ohm. However the Marshall cab says 8ohm on the back of it is this bad? The cab is in pretty decent shape though more or less perfect.

5. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Will 250watts at 4ohms damage the cab that does 400watts at 8ohms?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cabs don't have ohms.

What you will be doing is putting around 150~ Watts into a cabinet that is rated for 400. If your not pushing the amp too hard to get the volume you need, it will be fine.

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    the 8ohm rating on the cab has to do with the load that it puts on the amp itself. the amp (when pushing an 8 ohm load) will more than likely be cut to like 175-200W and that shouldn't cause any concern at all. this sounds like a pretty typical setup to me. the only thing you have to worry about with cabs is that you don't put too light of a load on an amp. you will DESTROY an amp by putting a 2 ohm load (like a pair of 4ohm speakers wired in parrallel config) on an amp that is rated for 4 ohms.

hope that helps. read the stickies... they're very useful for this type of information!

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    It'll be fine. You just won't be getting the maximum amout of juice out of the head. If you add another 8ohm cab, like a 15 perhaps, you'll have a comined load of 4ohms- perfect for that amp.

BTW, thats a fantastic amp. I have the 7band SM version, and it kicks some serious tone and volume. Don't know about marshall cabs...seems like they'd be a nice match. Both being brits and all. :D

9. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Thanks everyone, the tone on the thing is awesome 100 times better than anything that came out of the carlsbro it had no personality at all + the UV light makes it look the coolest ever. Woo im all happy.

10. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics of the beauty..

11. Hayznut

Hayznut

Aug 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Thanks, 1 more question, what does the attenuation knob on the back of my cab do?

12. it'll be for the tweeter in the cab, basically to turn it up down or off

i prefer them off, but thats just me