1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace make loud pop slapping and standby

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Hello I'm concerned about the Trace v-type I just picked up, I never noticed this at the store, but when running it at louder volumes it seems to make a terribly loud pop when slapping, or switching the amp into standby mode. Is this a tube problem? Should I return it, retube it? I don't really want to pay for a tech if I don't have to, if it's a biasing thing I know a tube guy only 3/4hr away who could eaisily do that. I did make them give me a warranty, but it's a 2hr drive back to the store and I'd rather just retube at my cost if that's the case, they'd just replace the bad one and it wouldn't be a matched set assuming it's the tubes. 3 tubes are sovtek 6550 black paint one red paint, looks like one was replaced already.

Advice:confused:

2. I should mention this occured with 2 seperate basses, instrument cables, cab cables, cabs, and power cables. It's definatly something in the amp itself.

3. There is something BADLY wrong with your amp, and I doubt it's the tubes. I know it's a long drive, but I'd make the store's tech have a look at it. What's the point of a warranty if you 're not going to use it?

4. thanks Psycho Bass Guy! You are who I was hoping would respond. I think you're right, I just needed to hear it from someone else.

5. Unless...could it be that, there are 4 12ax7's in the preamp, and shouldn't one be a 12at7 or 12au7 for a driver tube? Would this cause the problem I'm describing? If so where is the driver tube socket in this amp? I'm going to go fool around with it, before I take it in on waranty sunday, If I get it, I'll post about it, but I doubt I will, I'm just this kind of guy you know take things apart and try to fix them and probably wreck something else in the process, ohh well waranty:hyper: yeah!