Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace or t-max or hartke , that is the question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toranabass, Nov 28, 2004.

1. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    hello all!

after saving €€€ (or $$$), here comes the moment to make the (good) choice:

I found 3 interesting used amps:

trace elliot V-Type 300H (300w, valve pre) 890€
    peavey T-max (500w, valve pre) (comes with a 410 tvx cab) (750€)
    hartke 3500 400€

I can't play these amps, but I've found infos about the T-max, the 3500; less about the trace. I'm looking for a professional grade amp.

I played few times an ampeg svt-cl (heaven :bawl: ), and solid state trace's (cooooold :meh: ). My desire is to get the most tube-like, warm, great, punching sound. (I know it's difficult!). I play a modded jazzbass 75 ri (bartolini inside), with 2 beastes for drummer and guitar, songstyle from punk-rock to funk or reggae.

any opinions? issues,... it would be nice to you !
    :help: tb forumers, save meeeeee pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase!!!

2. I would get the trace.

But you can get a new all-valve Yorkville YBA 200 for less than 600 euros.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=40&id=263&type=32

Or you could get an Eden WT 550 (valve pre) new for like 750-800 euros- even less for the WT400. You are on your own for the taxes, however. Make if you buy from U.S. make sure you get correct voltage. I think the Edens are the easiest to use anywhere.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/wt550.asp

Any of these has the sound you seek.

3. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    thanks a lot! yes, eden is a great brand too but I'd like to compare the ones up. the choice is not so wide, but that's the ones I could easyly find...

another one?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the trace is definitely an investment piece as well.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Out of the three you listed, Trace Elliot. This one will give you the best tube sound and is an awesome piece of equipment. Like IvanMike said, it is also an investment.

6. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    thank you guys it helps a lot!!!

but, with wich 4*10 cab can I match the head?

used 410 tvx,
    or german babes (cheaper prices!)
    ashdown MAG410T
    behringer 410 aluminium speakers?

still, you're welcome to give an advice, but trace now wins 2/0! is it the end for the hartke or the peavey?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hehe, i like the sound of german babes................or is that soem brand of speaker cabinet? :p
    i'd stay away from the aluminum speakers, try as many cabs as you can, you might even find that you like a 2x12 or something better.

8. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    right, german babes = it's like sweet sensual melodies... :D better stuff for less money, it sounds right :) !
    thank you IvanMike ;)

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I would stay away from the aluminum speakers also considering a SS Trace had too much of a sterile sound for you. Out of those that you list, Ashdown would be my choice.

10. Yeah the trace is the best. But 900 Euros is like $1,000 for a head that is probably at least 5 years old.

For the sound you want, stay away from Hartke for both amps and speakers.

For cabs, look at Avatar and Dr Bass for champaign taste on a beer budget.

I still say get a new Eden WT400 or 550. Even with taxes, you will save a lot of money. You could probably get a WT550 and a 210 Avatar or Dr. Bass 1200 Euros including freight and taxes.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I play the T-Max myself and find it a fantastic amplifier. Very responsive, lots of features and big power. It sounds very warm and gives a fast sound. One of my best purchases of the last few years.....

Try to find a used one, it should go around the 400-450 range. 750 (I hope it's a new one for you) is for a secondhand way too much.

12. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    750 is with a used 410 tvx, of course! for a used head it's way too expensive...

thanks a lot angelopb & kelly lee, and all the guys giving me some help!
    I'm thinking about ashdown too, mag 300h+ mag 410, at a very intersting price (less than used t-max+tvx... :eyebrow: ), and read about that. equal for eden! angelopb, can you tell me where to find good deals on eden?

13. the ashdown MAG 300h doesn't compare to the trace or the eden's mentioned... more in the hartke range!

I'd vote for the trace but i haven't played that pre i'm only going on the great things i hear about v-type pres!

14. I also would suggest the Ashdown ABM 300 or 500 i had the Ampeg SVTCL and in my opinion the Ashdown is as good as the Classic and in some ways better, more sounds, warmer and s/s and tube type sounds.

Hartke good for money and Trace is great but Ashdown blows them both away in particular live.

15. The ABMs are very expensive over here. Can you get an ABM 500 head there for 700-800 Euros?

16. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    There are many alternative options out there, but given the choices you mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

The Trace is probably your best option from what I've heard above.

I do have the T-Max and a 410TVX. Love the mix. I got the T-MAX almost 11 years ago. Really fat bottom end, decent in the mids and highs. Huge power and it's also stable down to 2 ohms. It's rugged, too. Now I've paird up the package with a 210TVX as well. I also own a Peavey 115BW that I can toss in either with the 210 or the 410. Pricewise, you're not stealing it for 750, but it's not bad either. That rig willl run forever for less jing!

Just my .02. Good luck
    Hammer

17. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    abm 500 is priced 999€ + 19€ shipping (germany) this is the best price I could cat on the web. very poor offer in France on high level gear: few good heads & cabs overpriced!
    used svt III pro: 1000€= 1300$
    new svt III pro: 1727€ =2245$, yes, you don't need new glasses :crying:

France is not a music paradise...

typically: french bassist player uses an :scowl: overpriced low end bass, and an :scowl: overpriced low end 100w combo (I feel fine with my 75mij ri & bxr 300c!) harrrrr! :mad:

If someone knows better prices in europe, or international shipping shops (like music123, basscentral, bassnw) I'd be happy to know more!

I think I'm going to go for abm 300 evo II (811€), wich I could try in the shops, and let overpriced stuff to their owners. another deal was on the ha 5500 (3500 in 500w, but I'm sceptic, 680€).

18. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    thank you for your opinion! what I saw on TB makes me feel that the T-max is the 2nd best option, since the owner of the v-type doesn't want to low down the price.

I saw it could be improved by switch the preamp valve with another 12ax7 or 5751 valve, did you experienced that with yours?

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had a Hartke and HATED it. Sound sucked, and I had a decent cab for it- Eden 410T. But it lacked character, and had scratchy pots, and I gave it to a student who was also an electrical engineer. He fixed it up some, but it still sounds like crap to me. The TMax is a great head for the money, and if you're going with it and the TVX 410, you'll not have much to complain about. Big, fat bottom end, tonally more responsive, and the Peavey gear is built hell-for-stout. I had a Mark VI head at one point, and it fell off a loading dock at a gig, right into a puddle of water. I was panicked, I opened it up, dried it off as best I could, put it together again in time for downbeat. Flipped the switch with much trepidation, but the sucker WORKED! The case was cracked, the tolex torn, but it soldiered on. Bulletproof stuff.

20. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I'm not much on electronics technically speaking. I have a friend who's an excellent doctor for my gear, so I usually rely on him for the tech stuff. That said, I'm not sure what you mean, but you have my attention. Can you explain further? I know the existing preamp tube is a 12AX7.