Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace or yorkville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flaghard, Jan 5, 2005.

1. flaghard

flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    i was wondering which combo i should get, (i like a clear punchy tone)

the yorkville XS400T or the Trace Eliot 7210

if you guys can let me know which one you think is better, that would be much appreciated because im buying very soon

thanks

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004

ive had a yorkville and i have played a Trace Eliot .yorkville is good stuff! i think the trace is a little pricey$$ for the amps!
    but im not saying anthing bad about both ,its your$$ spend it on the one you want!!

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You live in Canada so buy Canadian (Yorkville). They make great quality products and have local service should you ever need it, and they're built to last!

TD
    ;)

4. yeah, go with Yorkville. My bro has a 50 watt combo and it's amazing. I myself have an 800 watt Bassmaster stack and I'm very pleased with the sound, and I've shopped around for a WHILE before going with the Yorkville (mainly because of the value for the price being outstanding).

Support the Canadian maker :p. get the Yorkville. I'm 100% sure you won't be dissapointed, but try both amps first and then decide what you want to do. Long and McQuade (Canada Only) usually have awesome deals on Yorkville.

~b-man

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Even though I'm a Trace Elliot freak, go with what sounds and works the best for you.

I can tell you that Trace stuff is built solid. The word dependability comes to mind.

As far as Yorkville, its also great equipment. I can't comment on how it holds up as I have never actually owned one just played through them. If buying new with a warranty is something you want then Yorkville is your winner.

As for my own personal preference, go Trace Elliot :D

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm on my 2nd Yorkville ONLY because I foolishly sold a Yorkville BM200 combo I had. I got the XS400 head w/ the matching XC115 cab about a year ago & I couldn't be happier. Best bang for your buck in the world of amplification. I've never owned any Trace gear, so I can't advise you on that, but I was down to the Genz Benz vs. the Yorkie & went with the Yorkie because I could get BOTH a cab & a head for the price of the GB head. Plus Yorkie stuff is made in Canada...not the pacific rim like so many other amps.

7. I love my trace but as you're from canada it would make sence to go with yorkie!

listen to them both first and unless the trace is your prefered sound go with yorkville LOTS of people on here use and depend on yorkville stuff some great reports about it!

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am also leaning towards a Yrokville \ Traynor for my new Amp, which I hope will be the last one !!!

Any thoughts on the XS800 or the YBA200 ?

I would really like to hear T.D. on these ones.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1 for Yorkville

Do a search...I think I've said a lot on these two already...several current threads with the pros and cons of these two amps.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    To my good friend Turlu, welcome to the province! Congratulations on your re-assignment from the east coast.

Now you're a lot closer we really should get together to compare our Birds and Rics.

As for the YBA200, I tested the amp out this past summer and was not pleased with what I heard. I found the amp sounded excessively midy and lacked solid bottom end. I did test the amp with the YBX1510 cab. It could be the tuning of the YBX1510 that i'm having a problem with. I would like to test the YBA200 with the XC808 cabinet to hear how that combination sounds. I would also like to try that cabinet with my Classic 400. Now that could be very interesting.

As for the XS800, I haven't been to a L&M store since I tested the YBA200 in August. I was actually waiting for the new XC808 cabinet to begin shipping. Plus i've been to busy to even visit a L&M store.

I'll get by the Bloor Street store soon and test the various combinations. I'll also bring one of my own basses with me, most likely, the 5 string.
    TD
    :cool:

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's interesting...most people find the YBA200 lacking in mids, from what I've been reading. As I've stated before, the YBX1510 sounds pretty good with an XS400H, but the YBA200 doesn't, and should be tried with the XC808 IMO.

When you do get down to Bloor St. L&M, let us know how your "taste test" goes. cheers!

12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    T.D.,

We have to get together for sure !!! Thanks for the kind words !

I tried the YBA200 very shortly in Ottawa L and M and found it was a bit noisy to my taste, maybe it was just a question of electrical wiring. I am heading out to try the XS800. Still looking for my last Amp !!!

Will let you know what I think too about the amp.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Just curious, which cab did you play through?