1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace RBI rig? Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hey, I have a trace elliot GP-12x preamp, and I planning on trading it for an RBI, and then buy a RPM seperately, but now I'm thinking, perhaps the Trace/Tech21 right might not be too bad? What do you guys think?

I'm playing though a Carvin 6'er and I would need to buy a poweramp, and cab (mine is... long story, but I need a new rig.) and I'm looking for a really heavy tone. I'm looking for tool-esque, but with a little more clean in the mix. More grind than fuzz. Anything I should consider instead? (keep in mind I'm poor, and I already know that a 400+, SVT and whatever else would be the way to go, but in the words of william shatner "I can't get (my wallet) behind that!"

~K

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I use a BDDI... the little pedal & i think my tone sounds like what you are shooting for. I can plug it into pretty much any amp/cab combination and with little effort make it sound pretty much exactly the same every single time. I used my BDDI with a aluminum cone 410 cab and SWR head Friday and with my Ampeg 12/15 cabs and Ampeg head Saturday. Sounded pretty much the same both nights.

I have heard the BDDI (or RBI, etc) described as the "best SVT faker available". I actually prefer the BDDI over my vintage SVT because I can get a more aggresive sound at lower volumes. I'd go so far as to say I can get a more agressive sound from the BDDI than I can get from my SVT.

But if you already have a trace preamp, then you wouldnt really need to use the sansamp with it... IOW it would probably make more sense to use one or the other.

So it sounds like you need a power amp and cab(s), which leaves you a pretty wide range of choices. But as far as this "I'm looking for tool-esque, but with a little more clean in the mix. More grind than fuzz" I say the BDDI (or RBI, RPM) is a great start.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i have an RPM and an RBI and use them both simultaneously. i go back and forth as to which one i like better - they are different. i like a heavy, grindy tone as well, as these two really shine for dirt. the RBI is brighter and the RPM actually has way more gain so you can really get into distortion territory if you want to. i run mine into a pair of Aggie DB728 tube power amps, but you could get something like a Crest CA9 (one for sale on the classifides here for $600 BTW) and run one preamp into each side. they can do a nice warm clean sound too if you want it. i say go for it, you won't be disappointed. :bassist:

JR

4. So, in your opinion, would you go with the RBI, or RPM if you only could get one (I know you're flip-flopping) if you're looking for a good amount of grind, plus, the ability to clean up for some jazz type stuff?

~K

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    probably the rpm as i really like the flexibility of the parametric mid control. its a little darker/warmer sounding which may be a plus if you are using a SS power amp. it also has stupid amounts of gain if you want it. unless you have a really dark sounding bass, i dont think you can go wrong. i think i got it from 8thstreet.com - MF and AMS stopped carrying it for some reason.

JR

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I agree with JGR. I too own both an RPM & an RBI. When i'm in Indiana-i use the RPM for upright & the RBI for electric if i'm doubling. Otherwise-i just use the RPM-i like the darker voicing of it. The catch-i'm not willing to give up my RBI. I feel between the 2 of these, i can nail an incredibly wide variety of tones.