1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Series 6 Nerdery.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hermanski, Jan 4, 2012.

1. hermanski

hermanski

Dec 18, 2011
    MKE,WI
    I have a 500x. I was looking at the service manual and noticed that this thing has like 3201 TL072C IC (op-amps) all over the place. There are a ton of chips that taste better like Lay's and Dorito's, but as far as sound goes, there is the OPA2604 or the OPA2421 that are supposed to sound better (relative, I suppose). Has anyone out there modified their GP12 preamp this was? I mean, I'd like to try it out, but if it messes up ****, or it sounds like $hit than what's the point, right? Also, the BC549C transistors are going the way of the dodo bird. I just bought 100 of them. Thanks,
    Hermanski

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Op amps are gain devices and would, I think, have very little effect on tone. You seem to have the idea that some op amps are 'better' than others - what makes you think that?

3. hermanski

hermanski

Dec 18, 2011
    MKE,WI
    In some of the other forums that I frequent, they take like a sound craft console and replace all the TL's in it with the newer Burr-Brown OPA type opamps and claim "tighter bass" and "fuller sound" and more musical. I am under the impression that opamps are considered better if the slew rates are lower, or so I am told. I am just curious if anyone has tried it before I do.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    In all honesty i think any improvements that you gain would not be worth the effort and expense involved. They would certainly be masked by the ambient noise of an on stage environment.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'd imagine that just between the inherent voicing and coloring sound from the bass to the cab that I'd be hard pressed to find a significant difference. I'm with Paul, I'd think it'd get lost in the mix, if you heard anything different at all.