trace smx series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by affro, Feb 15, 2004.

1. hi everyone
    i just wanted some peoples thoughts on the trace elliot smx series, in particular i am thinking about maybe purchasing a 2nd hand rah-400smx. i dont want to use it at the same time as my swr, just as an alternative (e.g - if i jam ratm or dave matthews band, i can use swr, and in my band playing bonjovi, def lep, etc i can use the trace). the swr just doesnt quite seem to cut it in the style rock sound i would like. (and dont say buy an ampeg!!). i like the features of the smx pre and i have always loved the trace graphic-eq vibe. i would still use it with my warwick quad. so, yeah, what are peoples experiences with the trace???

btw, i am gettin a stingray 5 soon :bassist: and i would still use my sabddi with the trace.
  2. Hi, never owned one of the SMX series...although I nearly did! I have onwed 2 Trace heads though - and older Series 5 AH250 and a last of the line AH500.

Both were excellent amps, really good sounding (ideal for rock music.....and good enough for metal too I feel) and very reliable. The AH250 I had had the UV (blacklight) illumination and was very cool.

I did trade them in for Ashdown gear - mostly due to a bad back...Ashdown rig is much lighter than the Trace rig I had. If you can get a good price on the head, and it's in good enough condition, I doubt you'll be disappointed!
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    It's the top of their non-tube amps. This line is much better than their 7-band eq series and include famous dual band compressor. I played it with ampeg 8x10" cab and was impressed how it sounded. I don't like trace cabs with my stingray.
  4. nah im not using the trace cabs, im using a warwick 410 pro
  5. Hello. My experience is with the Trace AH-600SMX. It's a great-sounding and reliable amp but is quite heavy. It's very nicely matched to the Trace cabinets soundwise. It should sound fine with your cabinet. I've found that the controls on mine tend to get a bit scratchy over time, but it's easy and inexpensive to fix.
  6. thanx for the replies!! (keep 'em coming!!) the weight issues doesnt worry me...i carry my swr with my comp in a home made all wood rack made of heavy as hell wood so it will probably be lighter for me lol.
  7. bump - ver.2.0 :rolleyes:
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What other responses do you want? Tone is subjective, some like the TE tone, some don't. I love pre-shape 1 on my TE eq pedal and won't play without it. I'm tired of having it in a pedal and have been looking for a rack pre, but I'm reluctant to spend that much money for a tone I essentially already have. If anybody has a TE pre they'd like to trade or sell cheap, please PM me.