1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace to tube to Genz to Tube to Trace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b.bandit, Apr 13, 2010.

1. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hi all,

I started really playing bass with a Trace Elliot AH-300. I loved it but I eventually grew tired and wanted tubes.

I scored a Peavey Alphabass. I loved the tone. I pushed the low mids a bit, but I ran out of clean headroom.

I jumped to a Genz Benz 600. I initially liked the tone, then I bored. But in retrospect hearing recorded tone from those days is great.

I eventually settled on a Eden e300t. I thought it would fill my fix for a while, but from some reason I have continued interest in the Trace Elliot V-type hybrids. It is a great powerful head,but one knock on the Eden is lack of mid controls that suite my flavor, may also be the pairing of my new cab.

I wonder if the 3 band eq on the trace will also have an inherit lack of mid control for me.

Any thoughts on switching from an Eden E300t tube to a Trace Elliot v-600 or Orange bass terror?

Money is an issue. So it has to be the switch aroundway about going of things.

2. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I understand, the head in question may be a bit obscure, but any thoughts?

3. I dunno about the switch but the V-Type heads are certainly held in high esteem by alot of people on here. I thought they, or at least some of them, were all tube?

4. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    the v4, v6, and v8's yes

I can't afford those I am looking at the v-600, 600 watt mofset with vtype pre.

5. You might want to have a nosey at the Trace Elliot quatra valve and hexa valve amps. They seem to go a bit cheaper than the V series all tube amps.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    not having heard the 300t, i don't know for sure, but i seriously doubt i'd get rid of an all-tuber to go solid state.

anyway, your one statement about the recordings you did with the genz is a big giveaway...

"I jumped to a Genz Benz 600. I initially liked the tone, then I bored. But in retrospect hearing recorded tone from those days is great."

this tells me you're trading heads for the sake of trading heads and for no other reason. if you have something you like, stick to it. your getting bored has nothing to do with the head itself. i've played ampeg tube heads for over 30 years and haven't gotten bored once. gas is a real dumb disease if you ask me. sure, we all get bouts of it, but it causes people to get rid of perfectly good gear at a huge loss.

7. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Jimmy you make some good points, but the the Trace I am pursuing is a hybrid.

I have enjoyed all my heads in their own way, but I don't know if the Eden will be my definitive own forever tube head, if that makes since.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well hybrid's usually better than no tubes at all, i guess ;)

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The Genz Benz GBE600 is also a hybrid. The only reason I gave mine up was to go for the GBE1200 with two separate EQ's. Sweet. And the only reason I gave that up was to snag a ShuttleMAX 6.0. Genz Benz all the way!!

I had an all-tube amp, the Traynor YBA-200 but ultimately found it somewhat limited for my needs.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i hear ya...genz benz makes great stuff. if i wasn't so into my vintage ampegs, genz benz would be on the short list. and at times i find myself jonesing for a shuttle 3.

11. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I am also debating about sizing up to a Genz Benz 750.

I felt like I ran out of juice with the 600. 4 ohm load to delta 12 lf's. That clip light was awfully red and came up alot. I felt like I should have gotten more head room. My Trace Ah-300 slaughtered it.

But I really dug the tone. Maybe the juice from the 750 will be enough, maybe I was setting up the 600 incorrectly?

12. Maybe too much lowest of the low bass, anything around the 50hz mark will eat up headroom no problems, other then that it might just be that the Trace is more voiced for what you want to hear so will sound louder.