Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace v-type noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xax712, Jun 20, 2003.

1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I just got a steal on a Trace Elliot v-type preamp for $125, but it seams that when I crank up the volume it gets really noisy. I've got it to where I can just pull up the gain and keep the volume low and it doesn't happen, but it still gets noisy in the DI. I just wondered if there was anything I could try before shelling out the big bucks to find somebody in this area that will actually work on it. It took me about 3 hours just to find somebody to work on my band's yamaha PA cabinet, so anything I can do myself is what I'm hoping for. Thanks,
    Brad

It does sound great though, just thought I might want more volume in the future at sometime.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You should try some new tubes in the V-Type. These are normally fairly quiet preamps. Sounds like a bad tube. The Trace has a pair of 12AX7's in it.

Nice score on the price. I'd be surprised if the tubes don't fix it.

Chuck

3. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Thanks man I'll give that a try, hopefully that will fix it for me. Yeah, I saw the price though and it was way to good of a deal to pass up.
    Brad