Trace V-Type - Should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Hey there

I was in my local guitar emporium today and I spotted a Trace V-type head. Just wondering what everyone thinks of them. I think it sounded fantastic but then I do only have a practice amp right now!

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this head? I think it is an all-valve pre, solid state power(?). It looks like the Vtype 300h on the Gibson site at the moment (the one with a mere 5 knobs!), except it has the older style Trace logo. I also think it was 250 watts rather than 300. Is this just one of the older versions of the 300h? (I suspect it is).

Anyway I'm hoping to get it as it sounded great and was plenty loud.

Any thoughts
  2. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I have the V-type 600H. The sound is nice and warm. Very loud. With the lack of knobs, there aren't a whole bunch of sounds possible but that doesn't matter to me. Its a great plug and play amp.
  3. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I just bought a V4 for $650.00. It was much nicer than the RAH600SMX Sterio head I was trying out for $300.00.
    I had to get it. (The V4) The tones are out of this world with this monster.

I would say... DO IT!!!
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    They have a very nice V-type preamp. Best part of the package. I'd go for that pre and put it on a heaftier power amp.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I have the commando head. and it has the v-type pre-amp and the amp sound awsome!
    i think i am going to add a power amp to get some more power. will the amp still sound the same?