Trace V4 Combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I found one of these 200watt all tube combos at my local music shop, can anyone tell me anything about them, as I can't find any info anyhere? Are they good, it seems to be helish loud!?

what speaker is in the cab? what size is it 12/10/210?? can I hook up an extra cab to it, and if so, what impedance?

can someone also explain how the two gain knobs in the preamp work?
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The V4 is an absolute beast of an amp in any form, the official power rating is 220w if this is the all valve version. If the combo is a single speaker it is a 1x15, a 2x10 version was also made. There is a single extension cab output, it is for 8ohm cabs. I belive the two gain knobs were designed to allow you to switch between them using the footswitch, this would allow you to have one set to a clean position and one set to an overdrive position and seamlessly switch between them. That's about all I can think of for now, but all I can say is BUY IT!!!! Seriously, you will not regret it, anything Trace is great but anything Trace with tubes is just awesome.
  3. I think it is the 2x10 version, as it doesn't stand high enough to contain a 15... I don't think this amp is in production anymore, as I can hardly find any info on it anywhere! does anyone know where I could find a user manual for it online somewhere?

Ps. it seems to have an XLR speaker output!? how would I convert this to run with a cab using only Speakon or 1/4 inserts?
  4. ALSO: can it only take an 8 ohm extension cab, or can it take a 4 ohm extension? is there a switch to change the ohmage?
  5. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That sounds like a combo I would actually like!
  6. Yeah, except I can't find a single thing about it online anywhere!
  7. anyone? I wanna buy this amp, but can't get any info on it? - BUMP
  8. By the way, the amp is 2nd hand and they are asking about $875 for it? do you think it is worth it?
  9. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It's not a super buy, but considering those heads go in the $700-$800 range it's in line.
  10. cool thanx, I'll try get them to drop the price... it's in great condition, I thought it was actually new until I spoke to the salesman.

by the way, does anyone know what 10" speakers it would have inside of it?
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Trace cabs are Celestion loaded. The output is for an 8 ohm cab. The built in speakers give a net impedance of 8ohms on the other speaker out so if you connect an extension cab it will run at a total impedance of 4 ohms. The impedance will not be switchable, an 8 ohm cab is your only option for an extension cab. You can find XLR to Speakon or 1/4" cables that are suitable for the task you desribe quite easily, the shop should really have something that would do in stock but if not, there are people in the Commercial For Sale area that make custom cables.
  12. All of this begs another obvious question... which model of V4 is it? You're asking about the two gain knobs, which tips me off to the fact it might be the last model produced. Is the front grille perforated black metal or cloth? Does it have a built-in compressor?
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It has XLR speaker and 1/4".

No V series stuff is in production anymore (Trace Elliot only JUST came back under Peavey after been swept under by Gibson).
  14. Oddio: It does have a built in compressor, and when you say the front grille are you refering to the speaker covering, because that is cloth?

What does this mean?
  15. Our friend VTypeV4 has one of the more recent V4 combos. Perhaps he'll post a pic. The best I can do is include a picture of my V8 head to give you a general idea of the styling.

The last version of the VType heads & combos featured 2 channels: clean and crunch, a tube-based compressor and the cool blue flourescent EM-84 power indicator tube.

Whether it's the last released version or the previous generation they are great amps. Lots of power.
  16. I guess it MUST be one of the last versions then, as it has the power indicator tube, compressor and the styling looks very similar, only in a 210 combo amp format...! what is the difference between the old and the new ones then? are they made by "different companies or in different countries or something?
  17. Poke your head around back for a look... if you find a Union Jack "Made in the UK" label then your question has been answered. There was (unconfirmed) speculation that some were assembled by Gibson in the US from UK parts. Nonetheless all of these newer series units are "Gibson era" amps. In the grand scheme of things it means very little.
  18. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH

Very, very nice looking rig.

I'd clip the tweeter leads, though... :D
  19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    And then run use a Marshall into a guitar cab for highs?

Good man!:D