Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace V8 / V6: Availability? Price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iualum, Jun 5, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    These seem very few & far between. Am I right, or am I just not looking in the right places? Anyone have a ballpark number for prices on a unit in good or better condition? Just darned hard to find much on the V8 & V6 apart from how much owners like them.

2. As no more are being produced, at least currently, you are limited to existing stock or used. There are a number of V6s around, but most folks who manage to get one end up hanging on to it. If you're patient you may find something on the used market.

As a V8 owner I can tell you that these are expensive and very hard to find.

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I got a barley used V6 a while back and they ain't cheap. But worth every $.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Jugghaid, sorry to have not mentioned in my original message how well done your shoot-out post was.

Guys...so OK, I know not cheap, but give me a ballpark number, if you can come up with one, on a V8/V6 in good cosmetic shape/good working order/with relatively new tubes. I wouldn't want to buy a fixer-upper project. Tone is worth the price of admission.

Sounds like these really DO blow away SVTs/400+s. Would you agree?

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I paid $700.00 for my Trace V6 in VG condition.

I think it was worth every penny.

Ballpark prices seem to be $550.00 to $800.00.

6. I've been watching for a used V8 for some time and have only seen two over the past three years. The asking price for one was $2000 CDN (about $1400 USD) and the other, in Australia, was going for about the same asking price on Ebay. As mentioned, V6s are more plentiful and priced more reasonably. Sincity seems to be about right on the prices from what I have seen.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I don't consider those to be unreasonable prices. But wow, only 2 V8s in 3 YEARS! Geez.

Would you ever consider buying something from Austrailia or Europe off of eBay? That idea just plain scares me. Have you or anyone you know ever done it? Results?

8. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    I watched the one in Aus. as well. It was a few months ago now, and if i recall the price was between 2000 and 2500. It was definately over 2000 i know that much. I cant even remember if it was sold or passed in. I was considering bidding, but i thought it was a lot of moeny at the time. It still is come to think of it :) Next time i might not hold back!

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks man. I do try. I personally think they are nicer than the SVT and Mesa 400+, but it's all subjective. Keep that in mind.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you might also want to look for a Hexa it's an all tube 400watt Trace head with a 12 band EQ. I bought my Hexa, and LOVE the clean, powerful, warm sound I get from her!

11. Good point! The HexaValve is a great amp and should also be on your watch list, although these too are quite scarce.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    LOL. Another rare one. This was the forerunner to the V6? Is that right?