Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace V8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    These heads look interesting, but I cannot find a dealer anywhere, and their website does not work. Anyone know of a Trace dealer in CA? Any opinions on the head?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace Elliot has been defunct for awhile now. Your only options are to find a used one. BTW, good luck finding one and when you do, expect to lay out the cash! BTW, in case you didn't know Gibson bought them out and like other good brands, killed it. I HATE GIBSON!!! :mad: OK, now where are my meds... :D

If you want to look at the old Trace Elliot website, here is the link: Trace Elliot

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Bass Palace has a used V6 in right now.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Never mind, I misread and thought you said the Bass Place. :bag:

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Anyone have any experience with the V6?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Trace made a V4, V6 and a V8.. the V4 = 200 watts, the V6 = 300 watts and the V8 = 400 watts. the # signifies the number of 6550/KT88 it has in it. The V6 is the same power as the all tube SVT, but with the amazing Trace V-Type front end.

The V8 or V6 were my first choices for an all tube head. I went with a Classic 400 (same size as the V8)... but will jump at an all tube Trace when the price vs. cash on hand works out.

7. I kept a V6 as a backup for my V8 and it was a great amp - highly recommended. It turned out that I didn't need a backup and let the V6 go. In the last two years I've only spotted two V8s for sale: one in Australia and another on the west coast of Canada (B.C.)that was going for over $2.000 USD.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al

Ahh...The Classic 400. A very worthy alternative. Low Down Sound has one of these in right now. Unfortunately, it's the black covered one, not the super-cool Tweed like James has. :cool:

9. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I can definitely recommend getting one. They have a variety of tones but to me the most notable is the "huge clean smack in the face" tone. It's like someone is punching you in the face in a good way. I certainly haven't played every amp out there but I'd be really suprised if the Trace V8 wasn't right up there with the very best of them.

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Actually, Trace rated the V6 at 400W, same as the V8, despite that fact that it has 6 KT88s whereas the V8 has 8 of 'em. And the V4 is rated at something like 220W... not sure how these watts are achieved. But the V6 sounds killer! Does come at a price, though - the last V6 I saw on eBay sold for $1,200 a couple months ago.

Anyone ever have the chance to compare the V6/V8 to a 70's SVT? Would be real curious to hear how these two compare in particular...

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey oddio, how would you compare the V6 to the V8 (without the overdrive or compressor)? I'm lovin' my V6 but the mighty V8 has always seemed like a killer, killer amp... and of course have never heard one since they're so seldom seen.

I'm guessing the V4 MkII (second version) sounds similar to the V8, as they allegedly have the same preamp... yet another Trace tube head that I'd love to get my grubby hands on!

12. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Jugghaid did a review a while back that compared a V6 with a current SVT, 70s SVT and SVT II Pro.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmm, that thread does not cover any Mesa gear, and though I doubt it would sound good, the Marshall amp, and the Eden all-tube I wana try...

14. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you are looking at Trace tube heads don't forget the TwinValve, QuatraValve, and the HexaValve.

I have the Quatra and so far I love it. Its the loudest 220 watts I have ever heard and it has awesome tone. I picked mine up for $450 and feel I got a really good deal.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I really can't have anything below 275 watts all tube, as both of my guitarists use Marshall full stacks which are loud as ****. Also, the link to that thread presents one big problem: the two best tube amps (in the guys opinion) are no longer made (besides Demeter and Aguilar, which I can't afford anyway). *sigh*

16. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm currently playing against a Marshall AVT150 half stack and a LOUD drummer. They both tell me I'm too loud and I only have the amp on 3! I wouldn't feel underpowered against two half stacks unless they are idiots and don't know how to maintain proper volume levels. Heck, even then I think I could give them a good run! :smug: I think your cab(s) can make or break you there.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Good point... Perhaps I will buy a QuatraValve if I come upon one. I take it that the HexaValve is even more powerful?

18. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The HexaValve was rated at 380 watts into a 2 or 4 ohm load. If its anything like my Quatra it must be hella loud!

19. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've seen somewhere mentioned before that does have NOS V8s and V6s but I can't find anything about it.