Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Vs. GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Nov 26, 2000.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

I'm going abroad within 4 months and by then i'd have enough money to get me a nice head (hehe).
    what falls into my (soon to be) price range are the Trace-Elliot SMC7-300 and the Gallien-Krueger RB700.

I know both have different features (graphic eq vs. 4 band, biamp vs. bridged only, 280W vs. 350W and so on) but what matters most is tone (what a surprise huh?).

what are the tonal differences between them, and what
    style(s) is each of them most suitable for?

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I can't comment on GK as I have never gigged with one but Trace Elliot amps have a more Mid ranged sound than other amps I've played. The sound is very clean and focused, but it does not crank out superior low frequencies. Also, the 7 band EQ allows for great tone shaping.

3. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I've found that the Trace stuff works very well with a Trace cab. The heads work okay with other brands (depending on the cab, though...) I've REALLY noticed that the Trace cabs tend to sound best with a Trace head...without, they seem to be a bit average.

The Pre-Shape button on the Trace is a pretty cool feature if you're into the insta-slap tone sutff. Decent also with a pick, if you're into the rumblier stuff with less 400hz mids. Depending on the original tone of your bass, the pre-shape can leave the treble (2-4khz-ish...) a little harsh sometimes. Just use the EQ to compensate, since it is a pretty good one. If that model has the compressor on it, it's kinda cool. I tend to like the older model with the 2 pre shapes and no comp, but that's not to be taken too seriously...

The older GK stuff is certainly a benchmark for bass tone, I think either brand would really depend on the cab and your bass. The wattage shouldn't make much difference at all. Spend your time (and your bucks...) on finding the right cab for either.

Good Luck!

Best Wishes

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I will be playing a Warwick Streamer LX5 through it (it should arrive on the 15 of dec. according to the store I ordered it from).
    my cab will probably be a Trace since thats the only cabs I seen around here (and I can't bring a cab from abroad)and they sell for resonable price too.

I also have the option to purchase a demo Trace Elliot SMC 715 combo but I feel it might be a little underpowered and it has no extension cabinet jack so I think a head format is the way to go.

what you think?

5. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I think you've got the right idea with the head instead of the 715 combo. My 6 yr old 7215 combo might be a little small for some gigs without an extension cab, (I have a Trace 1153 1x15" with a horn...) For long-term flexibility, I'd rather have a head, rather than the 715.

Like I said earlier, it's my humble opinion that the Trace cabs are best used with a Trace amp. They're quite well built...a bit heavy, but sound good with the right head.

Congrats on the Warwick, hope you like it!

Best Wishes