Trace's 715

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Oct 6, 2000.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

I'd like to know if anyone had experience with Trace Elliot's GP715 combo amp (NOT the 7215 300 watt bugger brother of this 150w amp)and if so what was his/her impressions of it?

2. Yes I have experienced it. I had one for about a year (bought it used), and it worked fine except for some buttons that were a bit raspy. But since I played more than I pressed the buttons I was off fine. It didnt bring me any hassle, but one time it was just dead.. no sound came out of it, really strange.. so I shut it down and turned it on again and it worked. (never know what happened) :eek: Towards the end of my ownership I began to push the limits for that amp so it didnt sound good at those volumes. I traded it in as part of my Mesa/Boogie 400+. But Overall it is a nice amp with tuner out, good (unfortunately not blendable) effectsloop, powerful eq with level slider, balanced pre/post eq out, preshape, and a mute button. I think it is a good amp to start out the higher range of amplifiers. Trace's are IMO well built quality amps with LOTS of bang for the bucks.. this one is no exception. It works for smaller gigs, and rehearsals.. it is rather portable and not that heavy.

But to be quite honest with you, I would go for the 7215 if I would choose today.. not that Im going to.. but better to have watts to spare than not to. The 7215 also have the extension speaker output.

If you have any specific questions about the amp, dont hesitate to put it here! (I will try to answer them) :)
    Hope this helped!
  3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

Thanks Meas Man

I would have gone for the 7215 if I had the moeny, I live in Israel and this the 7125 cost about 2000$ here...while the 715 cost half and can be have for less cos I seen a demo one being put to sale...

btw, I'm intrested in how good is the frequency response with a 1x15"(my curretn "amp" is a fender bxr60 - not worth even the 2 dollars that the korean who made it got for doing the job)?
    if there is no speaker extesion out then it would be nice to know it can still reproduce those high notes needed for modern style techniques.

4. I see the classical money issue... ;)

Well but you will not be disappointed with the frequency response of it... It can produce both highs and lows. But It does have a speaker output, but then youll have to disconnect the internal speaker.. no big fuss just pull the speaker plug (located on the backside) and connect another, just be sure to check the impedance of the other one! Anyways, try before you buy!!! But if it is cheap and new.. well what are you waiting for? ;) Try it out so you can see for yourself if it has what you want.

Good Luck, hope you like it!
  5. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I've owned a 7215 for over 6 years. I've also spent a good amount of time (several months while working in a music store...) with a couple of 715's.

Mesa Man sounds like he put his through it's paces pretty well. He has good opinions to listen to.

I would say the 715 and 7215 (without an extension cab) are virtually identical sounding. With the stock speakers in each, you'll get about the same power output.

M.M. has a good idea in using the extension cab if you need a bigger sound than the 15. I bought mine because I was tired of hauling around a bunch of seperate heads/ cabs--I wanted ONE box that would work for most anything, and sound decent. The Trace does good without being ridiculously expensive.

I had a loose wire in my amp once that seemed to bump up near the fan or transformer (not sure which...) and caused a HORRIBLE buzz until I moved the wire. Other than that, I'ts been really tough. NO complaints.

Best Wishes
  6. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

Thanks for the reply MesaMan and Dave

I actually think the Trace is the best choice for me since it delivers most "bang for buck" although its not an infirior option at all.
    I seen a Warwick Sweet 15 and Take 12 combos. the former was about 1400$ while the later was 1100$ (both not availiable in the US).

The Trace while being a demo piece costs about 700$!!!
    and it's comparable to the Sweet 15, both have 15" drivers, bass reflex, carpeted cover etc.
    the trace has on board compression and switchable 7 band eq which the warwick doesn't offer but I dunno what is the quality difference.

*btw I don't live in the states so I exchanged local currency into the prices mentioned above.
  7. Go for the Trace, but thats just my opinion. I never really liked Warwick amps much.. but traces always seem to be enjoyable. Good quality, good sound, durable, value keeping bits of good work. Go for the Trace I mean its a Demo so you will get full warranty i presume. Good luck!