Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tracing a problem w/5 string....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Feb 27, 2006.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have a Carvin LB75 bass and need help finding a small but irritating problem. I believe that it's a bass problem rather than one with my amp or effects due to the fact that I also play a Fender P through the exact same setup (literally A/B'ing them in an attempt to determine the fault).

Here's the story:
    I am hearing a very small 'sound' when I play that is similar to water dripping from a leaking faucet. I get the notes completely, there is no other audible noise or evidence (such as buzzing, dead notes, or anything that I can detect). This happens when I am running completely without any effect turned on (compressor off as well).

I send my signal through the following:
    Bass -> Morley A/B :: Boss TU-2 Tuner :: Morley Volume Pedal
    Digitech Synth :: Boss Chorus ::ART LevelAr :: Fulltone Bass Drive -> Amp

I can run my bass pickups either active and passive without any noticable difference on the sound, it is still there and seems to maintain the same strength. It is possible that it is there with any effect on as well but I cannot detect it once a pedal is turned on. Turning the compressor on/off does not seem to have any effect. The sound is more noticable as I get lower on the strings (meaning that a 'C' on the B string produces this more noticably than a C on the G string)

Ok, I think that I have given all relevant details..... if I am missing anything, ask for more specifics.

2. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    even just ideas would be great