Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Track for Cover Bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Sep 24, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just an FYI for all of us who find good money in doing covers.

Check out "Hey Ya" by Outkast http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c3gb7286-8105,00.html Have your speakers on, click on the "Hey Ya" link for Windows/Realplayer and give the video a listen....(FWIW - Windows Media Player is an ass compared to the performance of the Realplayer on my PC/cable connection).

I've never been an Outkast admirer but this is totally different, like an early Beatle's tune as party music on the old Ed Sullivan Show.

My band has covered it at 2 unversities in the past week and it is just making people go nutz!

Nothing fancy but.... THE BASS MAKES THE SONG, BABY!!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT TONE!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick-
    You using some sorta envelope filter for this tune?

The groove reminded of Sly meets Bootsy.
    The constant crowd noiz did remind me of The Beatles...
    ;)

3. rickbass

Naw, Jim. Just had to put the kabosh on my pop-up stopper to play it with Realplayer.....(if that makes any sense).

Live, I just click that bass boost on my Aguilar preamp, take the "Presence" off of my SansAmp and hammer that Bartolini in the neck position of my cocobolo bass.

It's all "WOOOMPPP!!!!"

4. My hallmates and roommate have been blaring this song constantly. (Several times in a row, several times a day.) So, I just took the time to work out some of it. It's a pretty fun tune, and if I were in a band that this would fit in, I'd be all for it.

"Ladies...I want you on your baddest behavior. Lend me some sugar; I am your neighbor!"

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick
    Very, very cool.
    Is the neck cocobola?
    ...or the bass body? If it's the body, then WOW!
    ;)

What Aguilar preamp are you using? Rackmount?

6. rickbass

Body top is exhibition grade Panamanian cocobolo, Jim -> http://dpcustom.com/RG1.jpg

The Ag is the DB659 rackmount.

7. rickbass

I can easily see why.........it is pretty infectious!

8. Rick, I've been listening to this song on some pretty weak little speakers. Is the bass line all roots, or are there some passing tones in there I'm missing?
    I only played with it for a couple of minutes. I at first assumed it was 4/4, but it seems each phrase is 3 bars of 4/4, one bar 2/4, two bars of 4. (G, C, C, Dmin on the 2/4, Emin, Emin). That what you've been playing?

9. rickbass

No, engineer. There are passages where you run way up on the neck above the 10th fret and slip in some stuff on your D and G strings......almost like the bass becomes an integral part of the vocals.

Then again, I love songs like "Hey Ya" where you can just rip on the bass and make it your own, whether it be simplistic & low in a rhythmic sense or crazy & very expressive with phrases.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Shake it like a polaroid picture.

The video is as good as the song.

brad cook