1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tracking drums, hooking up an amp to a combo amp. Will I break something?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 24, 2008.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Somebody asked me a question about tracking drums, but I didn't for certain what to answer. I suggested something but wasn't sure if this would damage the equipment.

He is trying to track the drums first, but the drummer needs to see the rest of the band live to be on the same page.

Actually this case is similar to another thread here, about problems with tracking drums.

The issue is his DAW only has 2 inputs. So there is no way of recording guitar, vocals and drums at the same time.

So I said they could try this:
    - If they had an amp with 2 inputs, 1 for vocals, 1 for the guitar
    - Hook the amp to the back of the combo amp. If this had an external speaker (min 4 ohms)
    - Input headphones onto the combo amp, and give this to the drummer
    - Setup the mics for the drums, etc
    - Track the drums, when guitar and vocals playing at the same time (but not recording). Also you will barely hear the guitar or vocals in the recording, since they are wired 2ru the combo amp and out to the headphones.

I heard someone used this before, but I cannot for certain assure that this will damage the amp and/or combo amp.

Will this work? Or should I call the guy and tell him to forget about it, before he sues me?:)

2. If you are talking about plugging the speaker output of your first amp into the input of a combo, you'll fry the preamp of the combo almost instantly.

I don't know why you are doing such a complicated setup.

If you have some money, go and buy a cheap mixer and you'll be set.

Otherwise, have the band do a pre-prod recorded live with overheads, and then burn him a cd of that track so he can listen to it while drumming.