1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tracking Myself But Getting Mixed Later, Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jufros, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I have access to a Digi Protools Rig and have to track myself with some fairly limited equipment but here's what I have:
    Sansamp RBI
    DBX 166A
    Aphex Aural Exciter w/ Big Bottom
    Boss GEB-7 Pedal
    I'm probably going to use my SR800 with EMGs due to the nature of the material.

Should I run an effects loop with the RBI as if I was setting up a live rig or run the DI out from the RBI and use the 166A in between the DI and the board?

Should I use the Aphex?

I think I'm going to track the unaffected signal as well just to give the mixing guy more options. I can, so why not?

Should I use the GEB-7 to kill some of the lows and accentuate some the mids or this just completely insufficient for recording and should I leave all eqing to be done in post.

2. Do all of them. Bring the guys who are mixxing all of it and ask what they would prefer to work with.

It is a bit more time consuming, but it would only be to your benefit. I would even Mic and DI each time through.

3. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Should I run everything in the loop? I figure if I send the clean signal the worst case scenario is that they hate everything and want to reamp it.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Definitely send the clean signal to a separate track. Once you've put on effects, the engineer can't take 'em off. This gives him the option, as you've suggested.

It's OK to apply a little compression on the "clean" track to keep the level under control, but don't squash the bass signal. Just enough to tame the peaks.

+1 to Kevin's suggestion about asking the mixing engineer. He/she may have different ideas from mine.