1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tracking with that Aguilar TLC Compressor

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Warning: shameless plug to follow.

This pedal is good. VERY good. A little preamble:

Y'all remember Mike Schuppan? My assistant/engineer/ProTools guy that turned into my touring tech for NIN for a year and a half?

Well, he has a house in which he's been putting together proper recording studio. Which is now going to be my new studio as well. It's a nice spot: proper iso booths (one large, one booth), good power, floating floor, etc. I'll take a snap of it when it's all finished. Suffice to say, my gear is in transit from home to there. Mike's quite a young genius.

So, I didn't have a compressor to track with on this thing I'm doing from home to my small laptop rig. And this song definitely needed a comp, because I'm doing very aggressive, Leigh Gorman style stuff, kind of pseudo-slapping, etc. for this electroclash jam. Anyway, this pedal sounds really nice!

Love the tone, the punch it creates, everything. Such a high-quality sound. Certainly rates quality-wise to my rack comp/limiters...it doesn't seem to be lacking for anything. It has a unique approach and sound all its own. Makes me sound pro!

Just thought I'd post about it, since a few of you asked.

Best,
    JMJ

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    :D

3. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is exactly what im looking for hahah

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Great review!

Justin, have you checked out the Aguilar Octamizer?!?! It's awesome, too!

5. nickwills

nickwills

Dec 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hey Justin

If given the choice, I'm sure you would still use a high-end rack comp over this. But if it was between PT compressor plugins, which would you choose for your bass? Would it be application specific?

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    For PT compressor plugs, I use the Waves Renaissance Comp the best. Other than that, the standard Digi compressor is good, as is the Purple 1176 clone, which I also have the hardware version of.

7. nickwills

nickwills

Dec 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    I don't think I clarified my question very well, I meant between the TLC and PT compressor plugins, which would you prefer?

Is the purple your staple as far as outboard comp in the studio?

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Good quality PT comps will be superior to the pedal, in my opinion.

Purple isn't my staple, I revolve around that, a Distressor, an E/H NY-2A, and an API 525.

JMJ

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    waves renaissance is still king for plugin comps, huh? i figured by now they'd come out with something better, but i guess it was so superior to other plugin comps that it's tough to catch it. that's probably my favorite plugin ever, even more than auto tune.

did i say that out loud?

10. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I just tried out the compressor a few days ago. With that said the whole "makes you sound pro" thing that JMJ is saying is spot on. Im def picking one up asap.

Laura Camacho likes this.
  11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Justin

Is this something you would use live also, or just let the FOH engineer handle the compression?

12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    FOH

13. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Any pics of the new studio yet??

14. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Settings you really dig?

15. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't remember any of the settings, but I'll try and note that.

Oh jeez, I gotta take pics of my crappy studio. Trust me, it's not gonna blow any minds.

JMJ