Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trad sessions..never again

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Murf, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys,
    Wow for the first time in 15 years gigging I recently encountered a really distressing phenomenon, apparently if youre a bassist and you arrive to play at an informal trad (traditional Irish/folk) session in a pub you suddenly become satan incarnate :confused:

Last weekend our bands guitarist asked me to help him out doing a trad gig in a local pub and seeing as I hadnt road tested my fretless in an acoustic setting I couldnt wait, so the night of the gig arrives and I appear with my bass and a 30w amp...HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! the abuse I got from the punters in the audience...and I hadnt even played a note!!, in fairness the other musicians were really cool and when I did start playing they loved the fretless.

I mean this is the 21st century, is there still this musical snobbery where electric instruments are villified in an acoustic session??? or is it just this piss ant little country called Ireland I'm unfortunate enough to live in?

Dont get me wrong I can take and give abuse as well as anyone but this was nasty and personal and totally uncalled for, I mean as I said I hadnt even played a note, literally as soon as they saw the amp they went ballistic:rolleyes:

Anyone else ever come across this?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I live in Luton which has a very large Irish population and every other pub in the town centre seems to be an Irish one (Eddy's bar O Shea's Club Eire).

When we finish rehearsing at church we sometimes pop next door to O Shea's. They often have singer/guitarists who use electric instruments with no problem (they do get abuse from us because they dont tune em).

One thing I have found (I did sound for a mates band) is that the audience shout out "we want Irish Songs".

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a colleague (another geologist) who plays in a bluegrass group. He knows I play bass, and we were at a site one time and I asked if I might come and play with his guys once. He said, "No."

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've noticed that a lot of folkies of all stripes tend to be a wee bit anal about bass. The bluegrassers won't talk to you unless you play a "Mahtin", and the trad types just ignore you. Maybe it's time to pick up a 'zook?