1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade: '78 Sting Ray for an upright?

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mattzink, Jun 24, 2003.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hey guys and gals.
    i just had my 1978 sting ray on ebay. plenty of people checked it out, but no one even bid on it. (only had it up for 5 days though). i'm on a quest to get a solid beginner's upright bass, worth in the $800 - $1200 range. the only big requirements i would have would that it be structurally sound, low action (you know how us bass guitar players are!) and an ebony fingerboard (NOT ebonized fingerboard.) i know it's a long shot that this works, but i figured what the heck.

as for my sting ray, below is the text from the ebay add. please don't email me and tell me i wanted too much for it - i already know. i really like that bass and was kind of halfheatedly selling it. email me at matthewzin@hotmail.com for photos, etc. thanks, matt
    ps. please forgive all the html stuff in the text.

<p>Description: This bass was purchased from Crown Audio/Lakland bass endorser and all around studio heavy, Randy Melson, whom I was taking lessons from. I bought this bass in high school, and have had it for approximately 15 years, but must limit my “bass arsenal” to the essentials (read: I’m newly married). In order to get money to buy an upright bass, I must sell my Leo Fender era 1978 Musicman Sting Ray. This is a player’s bass, not a collector’s bass: the neck has been shaved to a smaller dimension and the tobacco sunburst finish is approximately 6 years old. Both alterations were done by professional luthier Ron Volbrecht (www.volbrechtguitars.com). This is highly playable, excellent sounding bass.

<p>There is standard fingerboard wear for a bass this age, and there are a few minor chips in the finish, but, generally, it is cosmetically in great shape. Mechanically, it is great shape.

<p><font color=blue> Other features:
    <ul>
    <li>All original parts</li>
    <li>Maple neck/fingerboard; swamp ash body</li>
    <li>Active electronics</li>
    <li>Built-in mono preamp</li>
    <li>Bolt on neck</li>
    <li>Controls: volume knob, bass and treble knobs</li>
    <li>Hard shell case (not original case) included</li>
    <li>Strap with strap lock (I will also send the original strap parts) </font color=blue></li>
    </ul>

<p>Aside from a few stickers, minor scratches, and a small hole/”tear” around one of the case “feet” the locking (key included!) hardshell case in good shape.

<p> Additional photos available upon request (Sorry, only high resolution available – long download times!).