Trade a Chinese Bass for a Juzek Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BrianS198, Oct 10, 2011.

1. BrianS198

BrianS198

Sep 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    So I currently own a K.C. Strings student model Chinese Bass (Fully carved) that was made in 2006. At the university I'm attending, they have a 1964 Juzek Bass (Apparently it's some kind of a reproduction of some famous bass, I'd have to double check) that hardly gets used. I proposed the idea of trading my bass and possibly some money on top for the Juzek bass to my teacher via e-mail but I haven't received a response yet.

I know it's hard to make this kind of a decision without hearing the comparison (I can get audio clips), but generally, I like the Juzek better. It's a little brighter, much ballsier, and I just think it overall sounds better. My K.C. Strings bass is more mellow and round sound which may be the preference of some. The Juzek also has a GREAT pizz sound for jazz. The only real downside is not knowing all the issues the Juzek might have. Also, the endpin, bridge, and tailpiece on my K.C. Strings bass are generally better so I'd most likely want to replace those on the Juzek.

If you were in this (maybe possible?) situation, what would you do based on the little information? And what do you think of either bass if you have had experience with them?

Also, guitarists, cars, books, techniques, callouses, amps, and carrots... :)

2. I would almost certainly be willing to trade, but frankly I would be surprised if your university would be as enthusiastic. It's been my experience that school administrators will almost never voluntarily give up a useful piece of property like a musical instrument.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Go with the bass you like the best if it works out financially for you. If this trade doesn't work out, be on the lookout for another Juzek type older bass. The tricky part is making the switch, unless you can buy the new bass while the old is still up for sale (or you decide to keep it as a second...).

Frankly, I don't think an even trade would be in the school's interest unless the Juzek needs lots of work.

4. BrianS198

BrianS198

Sep 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    You guys are certainly right about it not being in the best interest of the school. They haven't told me a downright no so I'm definitely going to keep pressing the issue. I definitely enjoy my bass, but I feel like the Juzek would be a good step in the right direction and last me through grad school if I take that chance.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It may be in the best interest of the school if you add enough $$$ for them. They can make that choice. One question is whether and why you'd want to partake in any transaction that's not in the best or reasonable interest of the school. Seems to me that if a deal is struck, it should be of mutual interest.

6. It would help to know if that's a ply or carved Juzek, and if it's carved where it was made. A German carved Juzek is a very good bass, whereas the others are merely nice.

7. BrianS198

BrianS198

Sep 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Right. I'm not trying to screw anyone here. I'm just considering the possibility.

As for the Juzek, it's fully-carved and from Czechoslovakia.

8. Well, it's definitely an upgrade then... I'd say, if the uni figures the Chinese bass is more like what they need, and the deal makes financial sense, and you like the Juzek, then it's pretty clear you should try and make that happen.

9. I think you're going on about this quite wrong.

in random order..

* it's a lot of paperwork and a PITA for the school clerks and admins to sell things from an educational unit. (anything but the school's retail operations like Bookstore etc). Money has to be tracked, taxes collected and redirected... The music dept is not in retail sales and will receive grief if they try to sell something.
    If they do pursue it, I can easily imagine a Dean going, "What your department was approved this budget to buy this, because it was needed investment for the students, but now you want to downgrade and keep cash? Well next time your dept asks to buy something expensive I'll remember this. Etc."

* As a student, you have access to this bass right? So just use it without buying it! Getting permission to use it on campus should be easy enough. Permission to take it home would be much more difficult as other students should be able to use it too.

* The school bought this instrument from a bass shop and likely have a luthier maintaining it already. If there are actually issues that need to be addressed, report it to the music techs and they'll fill out the forms to have it fixed using University money. Then you'll use the improved bass without paying directly for it.

* see if you can reserve the bass for the hours you need to use it in class + rehearsals. Keep the K.C. at home and use the Juzek at school. 2 basses for the price of 1.

* when you graduate years from now, you'll know more and be better able to buy your next instrument from a store or a private seller.

10. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Absolutely. And consider that even though you aren't seeing the bass being used much this semester, in the future the Juzek bass will be there for another student/band to use. Just like you, they will also get to experience a better instrument than the one you are proposing to trade.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Eminently sensible! Thanks for this thoughtful point of view. :)

12. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    If this is a public university, the music department, even IF willing to sell and/or trade the bass, probably does not want to deal with the paperwork hassle involved in disposing of government property.

In the early 1970s, I worked for the MD at my state university and was responsible for equipment. I recall we had some old busted up basses and cellos (probably old Kays: if I knew then . . .) stashed in a locker that some music ed teacher wanted for her classes. They all had metal ID tags with "Property of the State of Illinois" and an embossed ID number NAILED to them. I must have spent hours on the phone and generated a foot thick stack of paper before we could dumpt these things. In consultation with other folks that did the same thing, I learned that the more "efficient" method was to allow the item to somehow "disappear" and then file a Lost/Stolen Property Report with the inventory unit. Now, I'm not saying I acutally ever DID that . . .

13. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, but it's been DONE a lot. I've seen plenty of old Kays and later on German Ply/Hybrids floating around with finish altered behind the button, music stands with logos painted over, ect.....the "owners" usually don't enjoy being asked about it.

14. BrianS198

BrianS198

Sep 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Right, thanks for shedding light on it. I got really hyped up and decided to ask, but I was pretty naive and really didn't think about it too much. I definitely feel like an ass, haha. Thanks for the replies; I definitely didn't think things through.

Thanks again guys!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021