1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade advice for Sadowsky NYC for 69 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Dec 9, 2017.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Howdy Folks, looking to get feedback on a trade possibility. I have a Sadowsky NYC PJ5 that I recently got in trade. I used in on some tracks and it sounds amazing, however I don’t really use it live. I got offered a 1969 Fender Precision for it. The P bass is in awesome shape and has all the case candy that came with it. I’ve always wanted a 60’s Precision and this is CBS era P bass from 69. Are the 60’s CBS Fender just as solid as pre CBS? Is the hype just around the fact they are Pre CBS. Any feedback?

0E3FC411-894A-41BA-8E40-AD21C9CE08F0. 651469AB-20F2-4FE3-A430-040891C3C256.

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    A '69 P-Bass - and that one looks very well-kept - will never be as valuable as a pre-CBS in a comparable condition.

Are they "as nice" ? Some of them can be *very* nice but the only way to really decide would be to play it. I wouldn't dump a ton of money - be it in cash or in a trade - in an instrument without playing it first but that's me.

There are folks which know old Precisions better than I do around here, but I believe that they got larger frets in '66 and lost their Brazilian rosewood fingerboards around the same time. In '68, Fender went from nitro to poly which is a big deal for some people.

I have no idea what the value of your Sadowsky is, so I can't really offer any sane advice in that respect.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have a great 71P, but have had other 69-79 fenders that were not something I’d ever trade a Sadowsky for. Get them to send it to you for evaluation, you either send them back the P or the Sadowsky. I think your bass is worth meaningfully more so you should get cash too.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Generally quality did not start going down until the 70s. But a '69 is not an investment. Play it first.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Any story as to why it's so clean?

An instrument of that age without any wear is kind of suspicious in my mind. It's almost as if it wasn't good enough to be worth playing, but that's me trying to argue against the trade since I don't see it as worth it in your favor.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd make that trade in a second. '69 P's are awesome basses. my first p bass was '69 that i bought brand new in '69 and i wish that i never sold it.

TN WOODMAN and jmattbassplaya like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t see why the OP can’t try his Sadowsky PJ5 live. There are a lot of old Fenders, I would keep a modern bass that records well and is capable of vintage style tones.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    jmattbassplaya likes this.