1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Trade Bait: Unusual USA Lakland!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by IotaNet, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It is with GREAT trepidation that I do this but here goes.

Here we have a Lakland 55-63 USA Bass. I have been consulting with Lakland and as best they can tell it's a "one of a kind" model. We thought it was a "Willie Weeks" prototype but as upon further investigation, we came up drawing a blank because the WW prototypes were active basses with Duncan Pickups.

This bass is 100% passive and has Lindy Fralins and it weighs an incredible 8.5 lbs!

The bass is in near mint condition with no dings, dents, problems or issues. The tone pot is slightly scratchy but that's about it. It comes with the Lakland Tolex case from G&G.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a beautiful and pretty rare bass but I have decided that I am not a Passive Jazz kinda guy and I'd rather sell/trade it stock than mod it. (I actually knew that before I bought it but I couldn't pass it up at the time)

I am looking to trade for one of the following: (in this order):

* A Sadowsky Metro Modern 5
    * A Sadowsky Metro MV5
    * A Lakland 55-94

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Here is the Willie Weeks Prototype I owned for a while.

I imagine the above bass is as excellent as the one I owned but passive.

Lakland55-63a.

3. what are the specs on this? just like a 55-94?

4. Different pickups/electronics. The 55-63 is passive with two J pickups, whereas the 55-94 has MM/J pickups and an onboard preamp.
    IotaNet, that bass is too cool for school. If it was a 4-string, I'd be in serious trouble.

5. Nino's grabbed my breath!

6. Thanks, but I meant things like scale length and string spacing; I know that older 55-94's have a 34' scale

7. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I had one exactly like this, except mine had a Rosewood board. The bass had some SERIOUS low-end to it. Super nice basses actually. Good Luck.

8. DON'T DO IT!!! :crying:

9. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    pm sent

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I can't believe you're getting rid of this!! agh! :eek:

Good luck with the sale/trade. Dwayne and I have had a few conversations, and he's a great guy. Someone is going to be extremely happy with this bass!

About how much would one of these bad boys be worth, collectable value included, anyway?

11. Dave -

Thanks for the assist. But herein lies the rub ... the specs listed are for a 55-63 and they speak of an ACTIVE bass (Like Nino's) which mine clearly is not.

That said, the specs on my bass are just like a 55-94 ... 35" scale, 19 mm string spacing, etc. etc.

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    In those specs, the Fralin model is called the 55-Dual J, which is what I've always known it as....standard or deluxe.

13. Murphy -

I think you're right about this. After crawling the web, I found an old Lakland Brochure and this model was in it.
    (That still doesn't explain the "X05" serial number, though.)

[​IMG]

14. +1.

Good luck mate, even though I consider you mentally ill :D

15. JerBear80

JerBear80 You smell like cats in here. Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    MN
    pm'd

16. I've decided that this bass is too nice to let go of. :rollno:

She's off the market for now.

17. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Smart man!

18. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    If you change your mind & put it back up, shoot me an e-mail and lets talk a price since there has been none mentioned...lol.

... or I'd be happy to trade a 55-01 and cash for this sweet thing!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.