1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trade Dillema: Lakland and Precision for Precision 5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Just the Lakland 55-01

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Both the Lakland and the P Bass Lyte

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Sell each separately, the depreciation on the trade isn't worth it

27 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. Throw a carrot in a river and see what happens

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Ok guys, you gotta help me out here.

In '05 I bought a Lakland 55-01. I was looking for something that could 'do' a 5 string precision sound for around $1000 and the Lakland did a pretty good job. So of course now Fender has the 2008 5 string p bass and it's definately time to buy it.

Here's the dillema....

If I get a reasonable offer I will definately trade up the Lakland. The question is I have a 4 string Fender Precision Lyte that could be used for slap style in the future. I don't play slap now and don't forsee playing it in the future but something is dragging at me to hold on to it. Trading both the Precision Lyte and Lakland could cut a serious chunk off the price of the new P bass.

What do you think? Trade both of em or just the Lakland? I'll say that neither bass gets played right now.

Thanks for the help.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Don't trade 'em both.

Sell 'em both.

You'll make more $$

3. I agree with Steve. If you're not really playing either of them, then it's definitely worth it to trade them both for something that you WILL play.

4. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    sell them both, or seel the p bass light, buy a used pbass, and some new pickups for the lakland. i love laklands though, so im biased.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Sell and buy. A new P5 could be had for $900 if you haggle. :)

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Selling both seems the way forward in terms of $$, but it depends how quick you can offload them and how desperate you are to get the P5. I normally can't wait when my GAS starts to rage and take a hit on the trade in price, but get what I want quicker.

7. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    never trade in if you dont have too. the store will only give you about half the going rate.
    you could sell the 55-01 on here for around $500.

8. Sell then haggle when you buy.

You'll get $500 easy here or elsewhere on the web for the 55-01. I sold mine for $600ish shipped.

9. It depends on how quickly you want/need the P5. Selling your stuff on your own will net you more $$ in the long run for sure, but it could take a while. It took me a couple weeks to move a beautiful Ibanez ATK using both here and craigslist (it went to a lucky TB'ed BTW:)), and I still took less than my origional asking price (which was about $250 less than a new one). Trade will get you less $$, but instant gratification and almost no hassle. A good shop will give you a fair value for you pieces, as long as they are functioning, and CLEAN (I can't stress that enough... you should see the stuff people bring in to me for trade that just looks like they pulled it out of the attic after 20 years!!:scowl:).

Will you take a hit on the pieces you are trading in? Sure. I'm going to be honest as a retailer, I need to make money. I need to pay the rent and electricity bills, I need extra cash to buy those cool pieces that people just want to sell, plus I need to pay my salery and my workers salery as well. I'll give you a fair value for it, and if you are trading with me and if you want to know how I get my value I will tell you straight up (I used to hate going to music stores to trade and the cleark would just pull a random lowball number out his "you know what"). I use a simple math formula to get my numbers, easy as that (sorry, company policy prohibits me form posting the formula.... rules are rules). No emotion, no low balling, just pure math. But if it's not clean, I will adjust the price accourdingly (hey, I have to take time and polish the piece, change the strings, do a quick setup, spray the crackly pots, re-soder the ground... ect. My time is worth $$).

Just my $.02 from the other side of the counter. :D

10. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I appreciate the feedback.

Looks like the Lakland and Fender will be going up in the for sale section some time soon.

11. Sell..then buy...trades loose too much value...and somebody almost always gets traders remorse.