Trade ESP for Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I've been wandering around these message boards for quite some time, and being that its right after the holidays, i was hoping to aquire a new bass. I've been seeing quite a bit of positive things about Spectors, and I am seriously thinking of selling my ESP LTD series bass to get some money to get a spector. What I'm wandering here is, would this be a wise decision? I don't remember the exact model of my ESP but it has EMG HZ pickups and the 5knob configuration. I can't afford a high end spector but I think i can get ahold of a NS2000 Q4. But first there a few general Spector questions I have up my sleeve:

- How is the construction of the NS2000 Q series? Can the basses stand up to onstage abuse? (not serious abuse mind you, but maybe a few scratches and bumps seeing as how i like to run around when performing)

- I have played one before, which was 2 years ago and I loved the feel of the spector and the slpping was great, but I didnt get a chance to do any technical tapping and fast runs (i.e. Stu Hamm). Are spectors godd for tapping?

-Finally, would you guys trade in an ESP for a Spector? Neither are high end models, but neiither are super cheap.

Well, thanks in advance for any input, thoughts, comments, suggestions...

Keep on groovin y'all ;)
  2. I can't speak on issues of tapping or abuse, but I would make the trade. Spectors seem to be well put together instruments and the less expensive models seem to hold their own pretty well. As with all mass produced things (this is starting to be cliche :)) the quality will vary from bass to bass, so its a good idea to play the one you want to buy first, and get it set up right before you spend your money.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you go for the NS2000/4 it would rock,,,but the Q series is....well, the yare great for the monwy, and i woudl take the trade. but the neck thru koreans are like butter!
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Opinion: Czech Spector is one of the best basses you can get, not even "for the money."

My thoughts on ESP's aren't so fond, however.
  5. I agree! Save up for a Europe series Spector because you will no longer need to search for the ultamite bass!

Still, the Spector Q series is certainly an upgrade.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well , im taking the middle ground. Q's are ok, Czech's are god like, and the neck thru koreans are somewhere in between.

But that green czech thats been on here is really making me doubt my choice!
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree that Spectors are excellent basses. However, I'm very much against trading basses (or cars, or anything else) because you'll lose your shirt on the trade-in value.

Because of that, I'd first recommend that you save your money and buy the Spector outright. If that's just not feasible and you absolutely don't want the ESP in your collection anymore, then sell it on your own and use the proceeds to buy a Spector.

I traded a bass once. Lost tons. Don't have the bass anymore. Even though I'm much happier with the current one, the old one wouldn't be so bad to keep around for that rare occasion...;)
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From what I remember, the LTD basses w/EMG-HZ's are very similar to the Spector Korean Bolt-On's. I've played a few & they felt & sounded pretty good for basses in that range. I personally would not trade the LTD for the Spector Bolt-on.

OTOH, If you could save up enough for a Czech (new or used) you will be VERY HAPPY w/ your purchace & might never want to buy another bass again!!!!!! <font size=1>(unles your a freaky, compulsive gear nut like some poeple around hear w/the initials NB)</font>