1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Trade feeler: F bass AC6 for 18mm fretless 6

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by J.Wolf, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I love my AC6 to death, but am looking for a fretless 6 with 18mm spacing, (the AC6 is 19mm). Anyone have a fretless 6 of similar quality that they would be interested in trading? No other trades considered, since a fretless 6 is really all i have need for these days. Willing to go +/- cash to make it right.

holler!

2. Is your AC6 34 scale?

Z

3. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hey Z, it's a standard/stock ac6, so it's 34.5" scale.

I'll post some pics up as well, since they're all a little different

4. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    DSC04908.

DSC04900.

5. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice. Just looks right.

How do you like the 34.5" scale? Do you notice any difference when moving between this and basses of different scale lengths (if you do that)?

The treble side dots are interesting as well. Do you find yourself referring to them much?

Good luck with the sale -- beautiful instrument.

6. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I really like the 34.5" scale. F bass and Nordstrand both use it commonly and it seems to me to be a very happy medium, especially on a 6. I dont care much for 35" c strings. It doesnt feel like much of an adjustment from 34, certainly easier to adjust to than going between 18 and 19 mm, for me anyways.

and because the notes have so much depth and fullness, it makes it very easy to play In tune. My intonation is better on this bass than on a previous Fretless that had full fretlines. I can only attribute it to being easier to 'zero in' on the note due to its clarity and resonance. The bass kind of plays itself IMO

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had an AC5 and it was by far the most incredible fretless bass I had ever played. It was just magical. I am certain that this 6'er is every bit as remarkable. The 34.5" scale seems so perfect and is hardly noticeable if at all when use to a 34" scale bass.

Jake are you nuts? Have you lost your mind? (I only sold my AC since I just didn't have the time to devote to practicing on a fretless bass.) You are only talking 1 stinkin' mm! Just slap on bigger strings for pete sakes.:D

8. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I know I know. Ive been struggling with the thought of letting this go for a while. It is by far the nicest sounding and most beautiful fretless Ive ever owned. I hate to think of not playing it, however, the more time I spend with my main fretted basses (18mm sixers) the bigger and more cumbersome the AC6 feels to me.

In all reality, I cant imagine what trades might pop up that would make me pull the trigger, but its worth running up the flagpole to see whats out there. Who knows, maybe someone has a 18mm KL Chamberbrase, or a chambered Jerzy Drozd :)

9. ltfunko

ltfunko The official Talkbass profile of Cody Wright Commercial User

Apr 23, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO (Asheville, NC)
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Mesa/Boogie, Dunlop/MXR, TC Electronic, GRUV GEAR, EBS, Tsunami Cable
    I've played this amazing instrument and can completely vouch for its tone, feel and playability. The harmonics just jump out and it plays like butter.

10. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    +1.

When guys go to to sell their Fs, I usually like to help them along by posting audio clips, etc., but in your case Jake, I wonder if you are just getting restless. You and an AC6 are a great fit.

BTW, I just got some DR DDTs to try on one of my AC6s... As you know, they are designed for guys who drop down their tuning, so they make the strings thick and stable.

And I've recently removed my ebony finger ramp on the same AC6, which means I find myself playing over the fingerboard more often...

Which means the string spacing is closer.

At any rate, anyone considering buying an AC should check out Edmond playing his AC5 solo... what a tone.

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I bought both Nordstrand and Fbasses in the 34.5" scale length, and I'm convinced that is the sweet spot for 6 string basses.

When pretty much all basses were 4-string, 34 inches became the standard scale length.

Then when 5-string basses started to grow in popularity, the wobbliness of their B strings caused luthiers to try 35" to tighten them up.

The trouble is, it tightens ALL the strings, not just the B string, and if you happen to also have a C string, as 6 string basses do, then you've just made it tinny and artificial sounding.

34.5" is the sweet spot: strong B, natural, organic sounding C, and subtle enough to go back and forth between basses that are 34" without really noticing.

12. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    +1 Tom. It is a sweet spot for sure.

Of course, I just fell in love with my new 33" 6, so go figure ;)

13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I had my BN6 made with 18mm spacing. Like Jake, I find 19mm too cumbersome on a 6er... especially after playing something else, like a 6er with 18mm ;) I don't have any 6's anymore and my current 5er is fine @19... go figure.

Beautiful AC6 BTW... I hope you find just what your looking for Jake! I know how exactly how it feels to let go of a bass like this... due to "physical barriers" or whatever. IMO, it's a tough decision that sometimes just has to be made. Your instrument should never hold you back IMHO. :bassist:

-pat

14. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    PM sent

15. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thanks Pat. we'll see what shakes out. I don't mind hanging on to it if just the right bass doesnt surface. it really is spectacular.

16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Just a thought: Have you tried contacting the maker of the bass? If you like everything about it but the spacing, ask his thoughts on converting it to 18mm, both as to the practicability of the operation and the likelihood of a satisfactory outcome (maybe 18mm spacing on a wider board would still feel cumbersome). Or ask if this model bass is (or could be) made with 18mm spacing -- I've heard of some makers facilitating trades or sales of their instruments. Maybe he knows of someone interested in just this instrument who'd like to scoop up an example in good condition while he makes your 18mm AC6 (again, don't know if he'd do that -- just a thought).

17. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hi mark, f bass will do custom string spacing but it's rather pricey on top of an already pricey instrument. I can't afford a new ac as it is, let alone a cool g (give or take) for custom spacing. Pat knows all about this I'm sure. He may have the spendiest bn6 on planet earth :)

18. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Ah, that's right. I forgot you were having that built. It sounds like it's a success then? [wink]

19. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    Bump for a nice bass and great guy!

20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Yeah, there is that whole money thing.

Not being familiar with these instruments or the options they're offered with (and what they cost), I thought maybe you'd be able to do it for not a whole lotta (net) cash, or, just maybe, the maker would have a line on someone with an 18mm AC looking for a 19mm... not a likely option, I realize, but worth voicing.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.