SOLD TRADE FEELER: Nordstrand SC5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Sammy, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    TRADE FEELER: Nordstrand SC5

H*!! must have frozen over, must be due to Global Warming and excessive GAS.

I am posting my beloved Nordstrand Singlecut 5 for trade. She is one of the early Nordstrands and she can be still seen in Carey’s Gallery under “New 10/5/2004”. She is mint! I will provide additional picture upon request.

“This bass is going to Blueberryhillbass.com. It is an ash bodied SC5 with a maple neck and birdseye maple fingerboard. The top is amboyna burl, and the stringers in the neck are bubinga. The transition block is burled redwood. It has my FatStack pickups and an Aguilar obp-3 preamp with a passive tone control.”

Interested in trading for a five string NYC Sadowky or Alleva Coppolo Jazz bass ONLY.

Thanks for looking

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Wow! Great bass. And I don't have an A/C or a Sad... :(

3. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

LOL......just have your own one built! Ive met the owner. Nice guy. and I hear the wait for a Single Cut is only........about a couple of.....or maybe a few um.....:confused:.

Beautiful Instrument. I wish I had something to trade...what a rare opportunity

4. Joelc73

Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    How heavy is the bass? It looks great.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Wow. I've lusted after this bass ever since that post went up.

amboyna1.jpg

6. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Carey, it had to be you as my first reply! She is a great bass and plays like a dream. I’m looking for a more raw sound, like that of the fore mentioned basses, and I just don’t have the bucks to swap out pick-ups. Let see what happens.

Needed to put FEELER in the title because I’m soooo on the fence with this. My son, who is an accomplished junior bass player in the youth orchestra has always told me how “un-wise” I am to go through with this. (But being a teenager, I get the un-wise line often!:meh:) Hope the family is doing well, when I stopped by to check your shop out years ago I think you daughter was just walking. She must be well into elementary school by now.

Joel, the bass is light, I’d say roughly 8 lbs.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    THIS bass is THE best that got me into Nordstrand basses. Don't trade it, period!

Think about it: You want a more raw sound. However, you have a bass made of the SAME woods as a Sadowsky or A/C with ash and maple. You probably just need to fit it with different pickups, which IMO is a very smart investment. Sell the current ones, and you'll spend even more!

The pickup placement on this SC5 looks very similar to 70's jazz, which is basically that "raw" sound. Put some Nordy Big Singles in there and you're set.

It is indeed un-wise to get rid of a bass like this for a "run-of-the-mill" A/C or Sadowsky (simple boutique J, of which there are thousands).

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't do it. You'll regret it if you do. No one bulds a bass better than Carey. Save some money and replace the pickups (big singles or his 70's wound singles in soapbar covers). You won't find a better built or playing bass than what you have there, and Carey may never build custom basses again in the future.

9. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1 100%!!!

Seriously, I'm about to get a new Mike Lull bass. I would practically buy that new bass and trade it to you Sammy. But that would be YOUR LOSS at this point. And Mike Lull instruments are my favorite boutique jazzes, the best I've played.

10. i gotta say, unless you now visually want a j bass, just swap out the guts. if the money is a concern, sell the guts out of that bass first. also, if you want a rawer sound, id go with his stock nj5's in the covers. definitely stay away from the big singles which are more refined than raw(sorry carey;)) and the 70's wind which are great for certain applications, but if you want raw his standard set will get you there. sell the ag and get his pre too!!

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes!

12. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    PM coming your way!

13. coribass

coribass Inactive

Feb 21, 2009
    PM sent

14. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Did you get the PM? :confused:

15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    PMed you Sammy!

16. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Replied to all PM's, now it's time for a Labor Day Beer & Burger.

Happy Labor Day! ;)

17. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    TTT

18. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Thanks to everyone who replied, looks like she's staying home!! :cool:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.