Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trade @ GC Columbus?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Okay, so I'm trying to make my rig a little more manageable, and I want to downsize from my ampeg 810 to a 2 cab setup. I was in Guitar Center (Morse Rd. Columbus, Ohio) and I saw they have a used GK 410 & 210 RBH cabs. I have a GK 1001RB-II, so I was thinking I could use the 410 behind me and the 210 as a monitor wedge, thus making it easier to hear myself, and (hopefully) make my sound guy happy.

Anyway, what are the odds that GC will take a straight up trade... my 810 for the 2 GK cabs? The 810 is about 6 months old, bought at this GC, and is in good shape (other than a few small tolex tears hear and there). I know this may be asking a bit much for people's opinions, but I'd like to know before I lug the 'fridge up there and try to work my mojo. Any help/ advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. I traded my Swr workingmans 8x10 for a Goliath Jr. III and a son of bertha strait across at a GC. I don't see why you wouldn't at least be able to get damn close on trade.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just make sure you got your mojo workin. Stores like to give half of what they think they can sell something for. I don't know the going rates for any of this stuff, and you have to factor in the flakiness factor. Sometimes they'll offer you $75 for a $500 (used retail) cabinet (they did me) and sometimes they'll offer $450 for a preamp that sells for $400 on the street. (Yup again.) I like to go visit the preamp once in a while, after 2 years they still have it marked at $800. Do your math, and decide if you feel like luggin it up there.

4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/

5. That's the old school method. All the Guitar Centers started giving about 70 percent of the resale value.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You're better off taking up Andy Man's offer, selling the 810, and buying the cabs you want. Despite Andrew's experience, GC (or any other dealer..this is not a GC bash) offering 70 percent of retail in a trade is NOT very common. I'd imagine they'd only do it if you were taking a piece of gear off their hands that they can't move any other way.

7. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    PM & Email sent Andyman!

8. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Okay, so I officially hate both Guitar Center and Sam Ash.

I called GC today to try to trade the 810 for the 410 + 210 mentioned above. I had to call them no less than 4 times just to get any sort of response as to whether or not they could do a straight up trade. I could get $500 for my 810, which means I could trade for either the 410 or the 210, but not both (which begs the question... when did 210's and 410's sell for the same price?). I would have to pay them about $400 to make it an even trade! Ridiculous!!! Thankfully, I did this all over the phone, as opposed to actually driving the hour it takes to get there, but it still sucks.

9. Just keep the 810. Its a PITA to move but nothing else is going to sound like it or approach its power.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    $500?

Thats more than I would have expected. Remember that they have to be able to sell it, as a used piece, next to lots of brand new gear, and make it move quickly. 8x10 cabs dont sell often because of their size so their offer was high considering that.

Always sell directly to the user unless you need it off your hands quick.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..thats quite a bit more than I expected you would be offered for the 810. You can often find used ones for less.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I find my 810 is MUCH easier to move around than any 4x10 I have owned. Tilt and push is much easier than bend and lift.