1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade Geddy Lee for Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I was dropping off my Jazz bass for a setup yesterday and I played a 79 Rick with EMG's. First time ever playing one, it wasn't as clunky as some describe. Black with black pickguard. It's a pretty awesome looking bass. All beat up (like I like my basses) with lots of wear on the backside.

It's listed for $995 at this shop I visit often and I know the owner from a mutual friend. Plays pretty nice - has flatwounds on it and was relatively light weight.

I might have a chance to trade my neat and shiny Geddy Lee jazz (+ cash) for it (also black w/ black pg)...what do u guys think? I'm considering all the angles: value,uniqueness, etc. Would you do it?

I also have a CIJ P and Jazz basses, so instead of owning 3 Fenders, I could have 2 Fenders and a Rick...

2. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    If it was me, I'd totally do it, but that's just me. Ricks are just too cool.

3. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    Since you already have a Jazz and a P, I would do it. It would round out your stable a bit more.

4. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    id do it in a heat beat, worse comes to worse finding another geddy is pretty easy

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    well it depends on how much cash your way basically.

yes geddys are easy to get there everywhere , if its not to much cash on you end do it ,

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That's a really good point - well, when I get to the shop tomorrow to pick my other Jazz up, I'll try and talk some numbers with the owner. I'm sure they could sell a practically new Fender Geddy a lot faster than a beat up old Rick w/ EMG's...

If the numbers are too high on the trade, I'll probably back out and I'll be happy to share with you all where in fact the Rick is located incase anyone wants to pick it up. I'm trying to save up for a recording with my band next month, so I don't have tons of cash to throw at this thing

7. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    Yup, I say do it. I don't even like ricks, but it's far harder to find than a geddy.

8. I wouldn't do a trade for it unless they're going to give you at least $600 towards the Ric. You might make more selling your Geddy outright.

9. Yeah I'd do it. That's very cheap for a Ric- probably because it has non-original parts. The pickups and pickguard for starters. And given that they are the only 2 things you describe- I'll bet there are more too.

Check to see if the bridge and tuning pegs are original. Also- check for any big cracks or repair work around the top of the neck. This would indicate damage due to poor set up at some stage in its life.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I don't really know much about Ricks, I know my fenders though, and I know Ricks are harder to find than Geddys...AND on Ebay, u can't even get one for under $1200, so it seems like a deal to me.

11. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    Be absolutely sure to check that the fingerboard isn't separating from the neck near the headstock.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Or the wings separating from the core; I saw a lefty '72 doing that, and it was a crying shame because I really wanted a Ric with checkerboard binding.......

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

That's a very good price for a Rickenbacker these days. I would keep the Geddy Lee J-bass though, trade one of your other basses for the Ric.

14. if it were me in this situation, yes, i would do it. Rics have such an awesome tone and ringing sustane, they rule

15. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    The Geddy's I've seen used here go for 750.00 to 800.00 locally. There is a 100 percent mint used Geddy at my favorite shop for 750.00.

Money wise, I'd say you are getting the better end of the deal, around here anyway. When you see a used Ric bass in my neck of the woods they are over 1k.

If you like the Ric better, GO FOR IT!

16. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    I definitely would not, given that this one sounds like it's been modified and so probably isn't worth messing with.

If it were an all original, it likely wouldn't be a straight trade anyway. It'd be the Geddy plus a whole bunch of something else, cash most likely. An intact 79 rick ain't no $995.....

The Geddy is a better player's bass anyway, unless you really need the rick sound.

With EMG's (and who knows what else), it's not going to sound very rickish anymore.

Personally, I'd pass even without having seen the rick to start with......

LS

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    trades are almost always a rip... That store owner has to make a buck off of your transaction, so you'd be better off selling your bass and then buying this other bass.

But a ric with EMGs sounds... odd. Did they route the p'up holes for the EMGs or what?

18. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    that trade.. would be like trading in a Pinto for a Cadillac.. in my opinion.

19. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Check the Ric out thoroughly like others have said. I know Rics seem to be the rage now but those used and modded 4001s can hide a world of expensive pain.

+1 on checking the neck out. Also look hard where the neck meets the body, subtle hairline cracks in the finish there can point to trouble.

Check the bridge out too, make sure it's flush on the body and not lifting.

Interesting that danomite64 said to check for wing seperation. I've only seen that when a ric was left in a car trunk in the summer, but yes, it's possible.

Good luck.

20. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL

Anybody dumb enough to do that should never be allowed to touch a musical instrument of any kind again. EVER!