1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trade GL Jazz for SB-2?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by lildrgn, Jul 24, 2007.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I am gassing HARD for a white/tortoise SB-2 that I played at a local shop the other day. It's a US model and they're listing it for $1150. I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to pay for it.

It's a small shop and though they do offer layaway, they don't finance (as in 6 months same as cash). I don't want to do layaway and I don't want to put it all on a card. I called them and asked if they do trades and they do.

So here's my issue. I offered up my Geddy Lee Jazz. I bought it in March of 06 and it is in really good shape. I replaced the tuners with Hipshots, as well as a Hipshot Detuner. I have Dunlop straplocks on it. I bought it for $650 or so. I'm thinking that he'll give me about $500 (if I'm lucky) and then I have another $500 to make up.

I'm hesitant to sell the GL just cause it's a GL. I used to have an American Deluxe J but traded that years ago. However, I have the same issue with the GL that I had with the American: I can't make that thing sound good to me no matter how hard I try.

I don't know if it's a personal preference thing or what. I played my Sterling this weekend at a show and it sounded KILLER. I have a mid-90s ATK300 that also sounds KILLER. I played that SB-2 over the weekend and almost wept with joy it sounded so full, round and tasty. I plug in the GL and kind of do this: :confused:.

I've been lurking the G&L boards for many days now. I used to own a L-2000 but sold it; it was just way too much bass for me. I've been reading all about the G&Ls and I've decided it's time to get back in the family.

Well, I guess I'm going to do it. I don't play the GL that much anyway and, to be frank, didn't like how it looked on me (so vain!).

I'll be checking in tomorrow after the possible transaction.

Cheers!

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
  3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, me and QZ have talked in his thread about it. Beautiful bass, awesome price. However, I don't have the cash money and my Sterling and ATK are both sunburst finishes. Vain, remember?

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I understand falling for a white/tortoise SB-2, because I just bought one! They are hotties indeed. But if the $$ is an issue, you could look for one of the new Tribute SB-2 models, which come only in black and red. I've never played one, but I've played several L-2000 Tributes, and they're excellent, especially for the price.

Or, while I know patiently waiting for gear isn't easy, you could sell your GL privately, where you'll get more money for it, and then head to eBay for an SB-2. They come up fairly regularly, sometimes for very attractive prices.

Thinking big picture, I think you would be making a good move to dump the GL for an SB-2. There's no need to keep a bass you don't dig. You won't miss it at all. Plus, you could probably use a P-type bass in the arsenal, and if you really want to lay it down nasty, very few will compete with the SB-2 and its gnarly split-coil MFD.

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I've thought about the Tribby, but as there's only two colors, the elitist in me wants to be able to stand out a little.

Plus, there's just something cool about getting a new bass.

Now, do you think I should put the stock tuners back on? I plan on removing the straplock pegs. I may just leave the HS tuners on, though if he doesn't give me a few extra $$ for them, I'll switch 'em back out.

6. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You should put the stock tuners back on before selling, because the aftermarket parts usually don't add value. Then you can sell the tuners separately. Some folks offer for sale with two prices, one including the upgraded tuners, and one with stock tuners only. Then you can get the extra $$ if someone happens to want the tuners.

While I wholeheartedly support the SB-2, you could move your GL in a heavier direction, and save some cash, by upgrading its pickups. Some Duncan Quarter Pounders or DiMarzio Model J's would add lots of aggression, and then it might work for you. You could also consider Nordstrand's NJ4SE, which is voiced for heavier stuff. Personally, I'd try the DiMarzios, because they're inexpensive, noiseless, and very well-regarded for playing heavier stuff on a Jazz. (Then, when I had the cash, I'd get the SB-2 anyway. ;) )

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a G&L Tribute SB2, natural ash.
    It kicks butt.
    I'd keep your current bass, and shop for a used Tribby SB2.

8. +1

The Tribby is quite possibly the best passive J on the market.

9. Bassosaur

Bassosaur

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm in the same boat. I was really happy with my Geddy until I bought a Tribby L2500, now it seems lacking. However, I love the looks and feel of the Geddy so I want to keep it. I guess the only option I have is to replace the pickups. I was thinking of going with the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, but I'm curious, does anyone know which J replacement pickups would be able to sound closest to the L2500 in passive/series mode? Would the Model J's get me close?

10. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I put some Fralin J-bass pickups in a MIM Jazz because it sounded dull next to my G&Ls. These pickups totally transformed the sound of that bass. The Fralins are hot, growly, and linear -- making it very playable. Compared with my SB-2, its more linear but a touch more mellow. Hard to compare with the L-2500s though, because they're incredibly versatile basses and can cover a wide range.

The MIM w/ Fralins is the electric I play alternate to my upright in a jazz 4-tet because it sounds so freakin' good. Believe me, I'm leaving 7 G&Ls at home when I carry this bass to a gig, so you know its a player.

I played a bass with SD Basslines and it was pretty good, but I liked my Fralin's better overall.

11. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Seems like we have similar tastes, because I have Fralins in my MIA Jazz and Precision, and I love G&L's with MFD's. I don't think it's a coincidence, because you're right that Fralins are hot and growly -- and so are MFD's. In fact, I think my SB-2's split coil sounds a lot like the Fralin in my Fender, but is slightly closer to the modern/full-range/Quarter Pounder side of things, while the Fralin is closer to the vintage side. But the gritty punch is similar. I haven't had the SB-2 very long, but that's my initial impression.